chevy manual transmission question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Chop Stuff Up, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

One reason I bought a truck with a manual trans was because I've had 2 automatic trannys fail in the past, and they were quite expensive to replace. 2 days ago I'm driving home and all I hear is grinding from my tranny, and it fails. The truck is at the shop now. They have not pulled the tranny yet, but they called me, and they seem to think it will need a rebuild, and they recommended that I find a used tranny somewhere, because a rebuild will run about 2 grand. Does this sound right? That is more expensive than an auto!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of truck??? More information about the truck and trans.

2k for a rebuild?? That is absurd. Find either a junkyard special or call up another tranny shop.

3. Chop Stuff Up

92 chevy 2500 2wd with a 350 and low gear. They say its cheaper to find a reman or a used somewhere else. The shop its at rebuilds the trannys right there at the shop, and they say 2 grand for them to rebuild. I made a few calls, and I got a price for $1,050 for a reman w/core and $1,500 for a new. Still not getting why its so expensive.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Well, if you have bad synchros and need to replace some gears that adds to the cost of a rebuild. If you look up the prices for these pieces you will be very surprised at how expensive they are. If you can get a new trans for 1500 go for it.

5. Chop Stuff Up

I was quite relieved to hear it didn't need a whole tranny. The mechanic should've kept his mouth shut until he pulled it and took a look IMO. I'm not a car mechanic, but it was some sort of hub that stripped out. They re-surfaced the flywheel and replaced a couple things, put a new heavy duty clutch on. Came to $766. Drove the truck last night and the radio stopped working. figures.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We just had a turbo 400 given a complete high performance overhaul and it was less than $2k, around $1800.

And Manuals usually cost less. I'd find a different shop.