1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Chevy mason dump vs Ford mason dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Frank2, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Frank2

Frank2 LawnSite Member

Just wanted to see if anyone had an answer to this question. Not trying to start a ford vs. chevy debate either.
    Looking around for a new mason dump (currently run a '95 chevy 3500 mason dump)
    The Chevy 3500 dump is around $8000 to $10,000 cheaper than the ford F350 dump. Why? Mostly everyone around here is running the ford's as well....Am i missing something or does everyone pay an extra $10k for looks?

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

In the 4x4 I think alot of guys like the solid front axel .Right now you can get a new f350 xlt 4x4 aluminum wheels stanless steel dump with a 6.0l diesel /auto.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Most people buy a cab and chassis and install the body themselves and not let the dealer do it they probably tack on extra charges.

For nowwadays standards you may even consider running a F-450 you can carry more weight safely that you can with a 1 ton. You start putting 2-3 yards of gravel onto a 1 ton truck you are pretty much overloaded you can't make any money hauling 1-1.5 yards of material.

You know what people are like they ask can you haul 2 yards of sand of course you have to say yes because they seen you carrying 2 yards of topsoil which is light.

I was considering going back to a F-350 so I could have a 4x4 I can't afford a brandnew F-450 4x4 but I thought about it long and hard. I decided no I can't go through the being overloaded truck ordeal when I had 1 tons before. Once a person has gone to a F-Superduty (old version F-450) its pretty hard to go back to a lighter truck. It nice not worring about being overloaded when leaving the gravel pit with a load of sand or gravel.

Back to your question I don't know why there would be that much difference in price I don't think there is that much difference in Ford and Chev cab and chassis.

If the box is good on your truck you might be better off transfering it to a new truck.

4. alanRC51

alanRC51 LawnSite Member

I used to be a service writer at a very large chevy dealership. Chevys are cheaply made inside and out. I would never ever own one. I almost got fired when I worked there for buying a new Mustang GT instead of a Camaro. I told the owner if I ever wanted a poorly engineered vehicle that burned lots of oil and the paint peeled off of, I would give him a call.