Chevy owners-do you get the buzzzzzz...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MATTHEW, Dec 24, 2001.

1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Just wondering if any other Chevy owners get the loud buzz from the fuel pump when you turn the key on?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

At least you know its working " if " it starts. I used to have a 57 chevy that ticked.

Gene

3. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I had a '98 Z-71 which had the same problem. Dealer said it was normal. I've heard others with the same noise.

Paul

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i had an un reliable source tell me that the louder they are the closer they are to failing........i don't know how much of this is true but i have an 89 2500 that the fuel pump was loud for about three years before it failed and a 97 that went for around the same before failing and my new one makes virtually no noise at all

if i were you i wouldnt worry too much but as with any other replaceable part be ready to fix it whenever it does fail

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

There are isolators around the pump, if they are not installed just right (or missing-they are a PITA to install so sometimes they are left out :( ) the pump will be louder than say from an identical model.

6. Andy Miller

Andy Miller LawnSite Member

My 1997 1/2 c-1500 lost it's fuel pump while under warrenty. It would have been expensive. New one sounds the same as the old one. I am an old Chevy fan. Even have a 68 stepside that I am hot rodding. But, I have to say this 1997 is the WORST truck I have ever owned. It is well maintained and never abused, but has left me standed 3 times. It is a lemon. Not a real truck in the true sense. My last Chevy (truck or Car). I am also a old Corvette owner. Chevy has lost me as a new car/truck purchaser. JUNK JUNK JUNK

7. smalltime

smalltime LawnSite Member

My 2000 silverado makes the fuel pump noise. I don't recall my 98 making the noise like the 2000 though.

Sorry to hear about your situation Andy, I have never been stranded by a chevy new or old.

I am a die hard chevy fan. I have had a few. My first was a 79 nova with a 250 straight 6. Probably one of the best engines ever made by GM, as a matter of fact, I believe it is what is in the new Trail Blazer, if I'm not mistaken. I also had a 73 nova with a 350. Had a 72 corvette convertible, lots of fun, but the biggest pos I ever owned. Had a 92 Lumina, very reliable, hell on the brake pads though. Had a 91 S-10 with the 2.8 liter and a 5 speed, nice little truck. Had a 89 S-10 with a 4 cylinder and an auto; not very good when it came to gas mileage. Had an 89 beretta, bought for $2K, sold for $2.6K. Had the 98 K-1500 which was a regular cab, replaced with a 2000, K-1500, extended cab with 4 doors when the twin daughters came along.

The last two trucks have been the best. I love or loved them both. Both are indigo blue metalic.

Steve

8. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

When it comes to autos it seems the nicer they look, the less reliable they are.
    I think Chrysler has the best looking cars, trucks for the most part
    but you have to carry extra transmissions in the trunk.
    Ford has nice ergonomics when you get inside, but its a rough ride being pulled by a tow truck.
    Gm has the most lame looking vehicles of all (with the exception of the Corvettes and NEW Silverados) but they usually are mechanically reliable for a long time.
    I have had Chryslers, Fords, and just switched to Chevy. We'll see

9. My first chevy was a 1955 pickup in got in 1964 when i was 16.
    Only problem i ever had with a chevy truck was a 1977 the body rusted away but the motor and trans were fine.
    Andy miller as a former gm employee i hate to here your disatifaction with your truck.
    I hope chevy dont get to many lemons out there because those sales pay into my pension fund.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

a lot of gm pumps are noisey,if you hear yours geting noisey,it may be one of 2 things,its getting ready to fail,or the filter is plugging up,when the filter plugs,the pump strains and works harder,this makes the pump noisey and in time will make it die early.IMO,90% of ffuel pumps fail because of lack of fuel filter maintance.My cousins 91 Chevy 1500 has 300k on it,original pump,and its quiet,he gets the filter changed twice a year,since new.Remember how a pump operates,the unused fuel is recirculated back to the tank,the constant flow is what cools the pump,especially when the tank is below 1/2,then the pump is exposed,and gets hotter,if the filter is plugging,even slightly,the returning fuel flow will trickle,or stop,so the pump will run hot because the fuel flow that cools it as it passes thru it,has slowed down at the same time,an extra load is being placed on the pump,making it run even hotter yet,and straining it.