Chevy s10 pulling around 700lbs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mwalz, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

6.5x 10 trailer pulling of the bumper

2. Jason Simmons

Underneath the back bumper is some strong reinforcement, its all original. I dont know if the picture is clear

3. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

So u just use the bumper hitch? What is that rated at?
  4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

That's pretty cool...until it fails.

Pass th' Tater Salad?
  5. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

looks like my old truck. i had a 97 s10 with a 6.5x10 trailer pulling off the bumper hitch as well. my bumper got a little bent before the end.. It worked fine for me though. Now i got a chevy 1500.. and i want to have a skid sprayer, and now this truck isn't enough. go figure. :hammerhead:

6. Jason Simmons

I dont know the rating on it.
  7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Holy crap. I think if you look at the bumper it will say something like "500 lb max" stamped right into the plastic.

Edit. Meh, it's probably higher than that, but you really, REALLY should find out.
    Don't be the guy who kills a vanload of kids because you aren't towing your stuff properly.
  8. LCR

LCR LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Believe it or not but the S-10 is/was a work horse.

That 500lb you see on the bumper is the tongue weight not the total tow rating.

In general between all the model years of the S-10 depending on regular cab, bed length, etc; With the 4cyl it had a rated towing of 2,000lbs and with the V-6 max towing is/was 6,000lbs

Most of the V-6 were rated at 500lb max tongue weight with 5,000lb max trailer weight.
  9. LCR

LCR LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'll try to find the pictures, I have a friend who built a S-10 dually with diesel swap.
  10. truckn

truckn LawnSite Member

You really need to get a hitch man. The rating on your bumper is 1500lbs and 150lbs tongue weight and that's probably with occassional use in mind. I think your an accident waiting to happen.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013