Chevy s10 pulling around 700lbs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mwalz, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Which I am going to get a tow plate I was just wondering if my truck could handle pulling the weight , I didn't mean use the bumper hitch.

2. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

i got safety chains, and the 2 inch ball got a castle nut on the bottom with a hole drilled in the threads with a cotter pin. There is no way the ball is coming off. Been hauling with it for 8 yrs on hwys and all over, with no problem.

3. Jason Simmons

I travel up and down Lookout mountain almost daily, no problem. If it was unsafe i wouldn t do it.

4. Jason Simmons

Here is a buddy of mine that i help Race dirt track pulling his 2400 pounds car plus wieght of all those tires and trailer. The truck is only 1/2 ton with a strait 6 in it, and its pulling from the bumper. The track is 40 min away from the house. Its funny he has a 18 wheeler but sometimes he pulls with this truck to make people mad. The people he is racing against got like nascar haulers and spare engines and big sponsers. And he laps everybody and takes the $5,000 home in this truck. Truck been everywhere

2013-01-21_19-42-26_42.jpg

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is nothing unsafe about using those step bumpers as hitches. They are designed and rated for it, just like any other hitch. As long as you don't exceed the ratings on the bumper you are good to go. I don't like them because the ball height is fixed and you end up beating the crap out of the license plate when you hitch up, but there is nothing unsafe about them.