Chevy Service air bag light-Turn off?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by deere615, Sep 5, 2008.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2003 chevy silverado 4.8L 1500. A little while back my service airbag light came on. After charging me $140 to tell me that the light was on because of a passenger pully or something The chevy dealer wanted over $800 to fix it. I don't need it fixed to pass inspection or anything, it is just annoying to see the message on the display center. Is there anything I can do to turn the light off?? I looked for a fuse(It has to have one right?) but couldn't find it. Thanks for any help

2. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, but you cannot turn it off without fixing the problem. If you pull the fuses for the air bag it will still stay on, settting another code for low voltage or loss of voltage to air bag module. I take it the code was for the passenger side pretensioner circuit and not a "pulley". Can't see 800 to fix it. If you find a used part in a junkyard and install it light will go out on its own usually. Airbag does a self diagnostic check everytime vehicle is started, and if no faults are found light will go out.

3. deere615

ok, Yes the pretensioner sounds like what it was! I can't see that much either, at that time my emergency brake didn't work and the dealer told me that the back roaters were badbut I told him I would do that. when me and my friend took them off the roaters were fine and the E brake just needed adjusted. So if I get that part is it hard to fix??

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

A freind of mine had the same thing happen. All he did was run the seat belt in and out a dozen of so time and reset the computer using a OBD reader. The probelm never has came back.

5. deere615

Ok, I will try that, do you know if he had the key on or the reader plugged in while he did the seatbelt?