1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chevy starting problem..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TriplePLandscaping, Jun 14, 2006.

1. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a chevy 2500hd 02 with about 55000 miles on it. Since last week I have been having a problem starting it. It cranks over but just doesnt start. I only have problems with it when the engine is warm. I smell a tad bit of gas when it finally starts.Did anyone else have this problem. What do you guys think the problem is.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I think the gas that you may be smelling is because it is probably fludded from trying to turn it over. It could be a number of things. How does it run when you get it going? Sounds like maybe a bad battery or a fuel pump starting to go. I can't recall for sure, but it seems like a tune-up may even help a bit. Check your plugs to see if they are due for replacement.
  3. ken6224

ken6224 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

Check the hose to the mas sensor , if it has a small hole in it it will be hard to start and will run poorly. If there is no hole ,when it does it , tap the mas lightly with some thing , if it starts fine replace it .
  4. easton

easton LawnSite Member

Electronic fuel pump.
  5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I had that same issue with mine last year, I had to step on the pedal while cranking to start it.
    First thing you should do is put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what you get.
    I think it has to have 55-60 psi to start.
    after cranking see if it starts to bleed down.
  6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

This could be caused by several things. Since no one is there to see and look, I would have it looked at by a pro. A thorough scan of the systems would be in order. As well as checking the basics. If its doing it on a regular basis, a properly trained tech should be able to pin point the problem.
    I hate to see someone just start throwing parts at something to fix it.
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer last week had the same problem. It was the fuel pump but have it checked out.
  8. ribit

ribit LawnSite Member

I had a Chevy once. I swear it tried to put me out of business. Never again!!
  9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

Not sure if you have the truck fixed, but if not it sounds like a fuel pressure regulator. It is located on the drivers side along the fuel rail. There is a vacuum hose that comes out the top. Pull the hose off & if it has any gas in it, replace the f.p. regulator. Hope this helps.
  10. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

nope not fixed yet. I have not time. Im just waiting till it breaks down while im on my route. damn that would suck. Ya i will defintly check out what u guys told me. Thank you all for your great help....