Chevy to a Ford

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sgoalie23, Jan 2, 2005.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I am going to be commuting to Fairfield University next year. Right now i have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0L V8. I am getting about 10-12 mpg. I am looking to buy a used F-350 7.3 diesel between 1999 and 2003. Currently I put on about 30,000 miles a year. Do you think i should make the switch or just tough out the horrific gas mileage. Also I am going to be purchasing a 18 or 20 foot trailer. I will also be putting a plow on the ford, since i already have one on the chevy. Will the extra torque, power, and better gas mileage justify the cost of a F-350. Also do you have any suggestions or comments as to what trailer is good for hauling two ZTR's and one walkbehind?

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do get the 99-03 F-250/F-350, then make sure you put something like a Banks Transcommand in it. That will help the transmission shift better and overall extend its life. I myself am going through almost the same thing with my F-250. It only gets 10mpg with the 7.5L V8 and I've got my eyes set on a F-250 6-Liter Power Stroke with the Torqshift auto.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Ford all the way!!!!!!!!!!! I would go with the F-250 6-Liter Power Stroke. Especially if your going to be pulling a trailer. :waving:

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

1999-2003 Fords posess a charming and delightful transmission that is lucky if it gets 70,000 miles without rebuilding. That transmission does not have a pump that circulates oil when it is running in reverse, and if you are backing up a hill under load, you are going to blow your tranny every time. The tranny is the weakest link on the truck.

If you are looking to trade brands because of fuel savings, I do not know of one person getting over 13 with an F-250 and a 366 cubic inch diesel in it. I have two freinds with 04 and 05 F-350's, both with over 10,000 miles, and niether one of them gets past 13MPG on a good day running with the wind, empty. Do not install any chip or other means of power boosting technolgy if it is under factory warrantee. Ford has cracked down severely on trucks that have been tweeked and has begun rejecting warrantee claims on those that were modified. If you are just changing brands because you like a Ford over a Chevy, you won't be disappointed. If all you are doing it for is fuel milage, you are in for a large dissapointment and you are going to spend alot of money to accomplish nothing.

On the other hand, our Chevy Duramax/Allison is getting 14.5 around town, pulling trailers or empty, and the best I ever got was 18.2 MPG on the highway. Try that with any other 1 ton truck.

5. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to sell the cehvy if so .............lets talk :cool2:

6. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

If you do go with the Ford I would recommend that you get one with the 3:73 gears instead of the 4:10's that I have in my dually. The best mileage to date is 12.5 mpg and I am running a power tuner, 4 inch exhaust and cold air induction.
    I did get between 1 to 2 mpg better with these mods though but with the 4:10's at 65mph I am running 2000rpm and around 2200 to 2300 at around 70 mph.

Good luck and if you are looking for power then you have chosen the correct brand. FORD!!!

7. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of the entire transmission having to be replaced or rebuilt at 70,000. I have a 99 Ford diesel with 162,000 with no problems and I have an 01 1 ton with 73,000 and no problems. I do like the Chevys though. The only reason I would not get one is because I dont particularly care for the interior. It just feels to much like a car to me. That isnt saying its not a good truck. I have many friends that love their Chevys but I will stick to ford for the simple reason that it hasnt left me stranded yet.

8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Gilla, Is the tuner you have just a chip or is it an actual tuner?
    I spent the extra money this year and got rid of my chip and got the bully dog box that goes on your dash. It is especially nice on the interstate when I am running empty. I to have the cold air and have been very happy with it except that I have to clean it every month. I guess that means it's working though :)

9. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

You must be hanging in the wrong places...We have gone through a dozen ford trannies, and when our soon to be sold F-450 was in for a complete rebuild at 30,000 miles, the Ford dealer had 18 trannies go bad in one week, all on 04 and 05 trucks.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

14.5 in the duramax? A buddy of mine gets in the 20s empty and about 15 towing...Never seen a ford do that!