Chevy Truck trans gone??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Creative Lawn Care, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 98 Chevy 1500 4x4 automatic. I was turning in a subdivision today and there was a clunk sound follwed by a grinding from under the truck. Grinding only when truck was rolling. End result is the grinding has stopped, all gears work fine except I have no park. It will shift to park but then still rolls freely just as if it was in neutral. So my questions are this... Is it safe to drive until first of the week? What exactly happened? I assume a piece of linkage or part of a shifter broke? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the park (cog arm ?) linkage may have broke or came loose causing it to pop into park while moving then possibly snapped it off.
    I don't believe I would drive it without dropping the pan and inspecting then retrieving any loose parts.

Sorry I can't give more precise info., I've been out of the auto biz going on 16 yrs.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it sounds like the parking pawl broke like Restrorob said. Not a common problem. Pull the pan off of it and take a look. Too bad for you.

4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Is your '98 used for heavy towing or something demanding? not even 10yrs old and having issues so soon! I still use my old 77 chevy for farm demands,never even touched anything on the trans yet!My 88 either,a 98 though,thats still a new-ish truck,to me anyway.

5. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yes I do tow with it. I pull a 16 ft trailer with 60" ztr and 48" walkbehind almost daily and on occasion I haul the bobcat or tractor. So that is a lot of weight for a half ton truck on a daily basis I guess. I have right at 165,000 miles on it so its not really a new truck. It is at the mechanics now and the whole trans is gone. He said I will have it back by wednesday. Down to the ford ranger now.......

6. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

If you've got 165000 miles out of that 4L60, towing a 16ft trailer, your doing pretty good. I generally use only the 4L80 for towing our 16ft landscape trailer.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Chevys are know to have problems with their transmisions and they only usually last up to 150000. That is with out pulling. I just sold my chevy because they wanted 3800 for a complete rebuild and the truck was only worth 4500. Sold it for 4000. Bought a ford with heavy duty trans. This is why actually buying a diesel is worth the extra money. Not only do you get a diesel but the trans is hevier duty.

8. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

To condition that, GM transmissions, when setup with a proper transmission cooler are every bit as good as a comparable Ford or Dodge transmission. I have run into numerous people who recommend GM auto transmissions because they see more problems with other transmissions.

Chevy trans will last much longer than 150,000 if they aren't towing. I personally would take a 4L60 any day over the Ford half-ton tranny.

And of course, the Duramax has a medium-duty Allison tranny which can't be beat in a 1 or 3/4 ton truck.

9. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Had to push snow yesterday. Lost reverse in an '04 Chevy Silverado 4x4. 80,000 miles!!! Ruined my week....:realmad:

10. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

This is nuts for these new new trucks!!