Chewing up leaves

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by TiredOfWalking, Sep 14, 2004.

1. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

Hi just got a Super Z and I wish my grass would grow a lot faster. It really is so much nicer than a tractor.

I have some leaves falling already and found a new use for the Z. I have gator blades on my Z and was wondering how I could chop the leaves a bit more than I can now. Right now they chop but are shot out not as fine as I'd like. Is there a type of mulch kit for the Super Z's? I really don't want to spend the money for a Vac. Worse comes to worse I'll have to go over the leaves a few times. Oh darn :D

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a mulch kit you can buy for your unit.
    It consists of 2 baffles and a closure plate.
    The mulch kit used with Gator blades will greatly reduce or make your leaves and grass clippings disappear.
    Look in the pricing thread at the top of this forum for part # and price.

Pj

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Or, you can use a double (blades) "standard" gators setup and not the Magnums, since they ( the magmuns) have more lift and will spit out the leaves too fast before mulching them.
    Pete

4. beaubob

beaubob LawnSite Member

MC, I called to order from my dealer, they said specifically that Gator blades could not be used with the mulch kit. ?? Mine is a 60" Super Z.

5. gr8pyrs

gr8pyrs LawnSite Member
    from PA

beaubob,

I use gators with a mulching kit, as recommended by MC, on my 54" Super Walk Behind and they work great. My leaf conditions are extreme i.e I have a lot to deal with and this set-up has performed extremely well in my opinion. The turf is a mixture of rye, fescue's and bluegrass.
    There is a small amount of leaf blowout in dry conditions but not hateful. There is a blowout kit available also in case that is an issue for you. For me using a WB and being somewhat farther away from the blowout vs a Z it's not so bad. You are kind of setting over the deck so you might find the kit useful. With the blades sharp, the cut is very good in most conditions.
    Hope this helps.

6. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Is there a blowout kit available for the FasTrak? If so, what is the part number. Thanks.

M/L