Chicken manure

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Mar 8, 2005.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever use it? Im starting this full landscape job at this new produce storage facility and the owner insists I use his provided chicken manure when I sew the 27,000 sf lawn. He says it comes in 50lb bags. Question is, how much should we apply. Kentucky blugrass/tall fescue

2. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

If he insist's on using his manure, I'd suggest he set the rate too. :rolleyes: That stuff is about as oowerfull as any commercial fertilizers on the market. It makes a WONDERFUL soil ammendment for gardens and such, but it CAN burn some turf grasses. :angry: I'm assuming since it's bagged, that it's also dried. That will make it easier to spread evenly, but in any event, let your customer tell you how much and when to apply if he wants it done. :dizzy: JMHO, and worth precicely what you invested in such opinion..... :cool2:

3. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Chciken is supposed to be better than any other manure to use as an amendment. But how much to apply I am not sure...I tried looking it up in some books I have but no luck.. Try an internet search or something

4. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Chicken manure is very high in nitrogen, the equivelent to urea actually. In other words its like applying heroin to your lawn. It will make the grass sprout fast but long term effects wont be that great. Chicken manure smells awful, just tell him you are going to apply urea, basically the same thing.