Chickweed ? What kind of control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Daren, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

I have lawn that I Hydroseeded at the end of September. It has been mowed about 5 times since then. Really looks lush and green. Having unusual warm weather until now. 50 today and is going to turn off cold the end of the week. Trouble is Chickweed is growing throught the lawn. Thought of putting some Momentum on it. I have Drive but figured it would be to strong. What do you think. Will it be to stressful to put anything on it right now or just leave it alone?

Thanks,
    Daren

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You could try a light application of trimec. I would just be concerned about any more seed that could germinate in the early spring though. I don't know what kind of precipitatipn and or watering was done for the fall germination, but around here, there was no rain from mid September until December. Chickweed is a winter annual. Even if you "do nothing", it will die off on its own the first warm spring day.:cool:

Bob

3. It's too cold right now to do much with post emergent. Your better off waiting until March if you what the plants to be able to absorb the herbicide.

Rule of thumb is you can't kill weeds that not are actively growing.

4. A+Elawnservice

A+Elawnservice LawnSite Member
    from nj

I would just wate till summer and put scots turfbilder weed control and the trick is if you mowe about 2-3 1/2 and water it will kill it Visit www.scotts.com there products are about 10 a bag at your local stores they work the best just wet the grass before you put it down and make shore it doesnt get for 24-48 hours after that it tells you on the bag and if is really bad in one spot put alot down there but if only realy bad

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

if you plan on using momentum on it in the spring, you will need to spray it twice. we have had some trouble with chickweed ourselves. we also use momentum, and have noticd that if you hit the chickweed twice 14 days apart it works rather well.

6. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

This spring while the weather is still cool in the 50s try an ester formulation. Your local supply store should have some selection.
    I have great results on some of the toughest weeds.