Lawn Care Forum banner

Child Support and Lawn Care???

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Planet Landscaping 
#1 ·
I am starting out (again) 3 years after a very messy divorce with my own lawn care business. My question is: Who owns their own company and has to deal with a nasty ex in reguards to child support??? How do you do it? I guess Im asking if it is possible after the first year when I am making money to pay myself a salary and still be able to keep some of the money in the business? I know this is a question for an attorney or CPA, but I was just wondering if anyone has some experiences. I am quitting my "normal" job so I can have more time off when my kids are here. I have no problem paying her so she can maintain the lifestyle she has become accustomed to :angry: but as of now I am paying close to 45% of my take home pay. The state handeling the case is Texas and she has sworn to "get me for everything I got!" Would it be possible for my parents, or my girlfriend to own the business and pay me a salary when I start making the money??? The good news is I only have to deal with her for 13 more years...ugg. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Well here in Maryland , child support is a formula of his and hers income. The more you make the more she can go after. The more she makes the less you have to pay. Now being self employeed the number they look at is the NET , what you pay yourself . Now this can lower your child support drastically if you incorporate and pay yourself a salary , of lets say 200.00 a week. Since the corporation is a seperate ententy in itself what it makes doesnt affect support , only your salary does. I dont know Texas laws , but in Maryland you cant quit a job to lessen your child support , but since you were in the business before makes it sound better, if you can be layed off would sound much better . Good Luck

#4 ·
I feel sorry for ya and wish you the best of luck. Here os what I've run across in the years.
Many guys like midirr.. has said that they incorperate and pay themselves a salary. Sounds simple but in the long run costs a lot of tax money.
Others have put their business in a relatives name and paid cash support outside of the courts. In my opinion if your ex and you are still civil on financial matters I would agree upon a resonable amount without strapping my self for cash. If she doesn't like that you can always tell her to go to hell and see you in court. If your income isn't much she won't get much either.
Good luck from Detroit MI area.

#6 ·
well first off i dont know if i would want a "girlfriend" to own the business and pay you what happens if that goes sour.. then she has the business and she fires you. that sucks .... look into the laws i know here in TN they just passed a law the has to recogzie BOTH parents salries as an income potential. There are some people here i have heard of that have joint custody and the exwife makes more than the exhusband, she has the kids all the time cept for some weekend and she has TO PAY HIM b/c she makes more. aint that some sh1t!!!!LOL the life huh. check it out it may also be effective where you are not to say u would be the one getting the $$ but it could lessen the burden. Also here in TN they can only make you pay child support off your NET not off of your GROSS. but ehy can also see how much you "save for the business" and make you pay some off of it as well. its a tricky deal. a mess if you ask me.

#7 ·
Unfortunatly, Texas sucks as a state to get divorced in if you are a male. She can make a million, I make a buck and I still pay a percentage. The girlfriend Im not worried about. She is the one picking up the slack while Im getting this started. I guess I was wondering if it would look too suspicious if my parents owned it? Im schedualed to talk to a CPA today so if anyone is interested in what I find out, let me know.

#10 ·
J&R said:
How if it's child support payments. and you are trying to get out of paying you need to go to jail. Now if it's paying her tell her to get a job.
Im not trying to get out of it as stated in my original posts!!! I would like to pay myself a salary and any left over after Im established use to put back into the business!

#11 ·
J&R said:
How if it's child support payments. and you are trying to get out of paying you need to go to jail. Now if it's paying her tell her to get a job.
Yeah, I was a little bummed out reading this.All these posts and not one reference to what the kids need. It just kind of seems that the cash is more important than the kids.
I'd hate to have my kids find out later that I was trying to hide my assets so as to get by on the cheap.
I don't know what the situation is and I just hope you guys are doing everything you can for your kids.

#12 ·
I.m sure you will do the right thing and give your kids all they need :angel: . The X Wellllllllllllllll u know, She gonna get some payup . I only work so my kids have ALL they need and then some, Its my motivation. :cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.