1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Childish, But I can't help it.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is childish but I can't help but get some sick pleasure from it.

I pulled to a residential account and the neighbor next door was about 1/3 the way through mowing his front yard.

I see him eyeing my equipment while sitting atop his sparkling clean cub cadet lawn tractor.

I climb aboard my Z and back it off the ramp. Our eyes meet. It is much like the scene in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" where Kevin Bacon and Steve Martin are competing for a taxi cab in New York.

I see him kick his tractor up a notch. Meanwhile, I make my way to the turf and start cutting.

I finish mowing and look over and see pure frustration as he is only a little over halfway finished with the front yard.

I grab the redmax and get to work. As I finish and replace it back to its' rack, I again look over and see anger as I grab the back pack blower and notice that he is still not quite finished with the front yard (the sides and back still remain). In about a minute and a half I am done with the blower and on to the next yard.

It is probably a good thing the other guy's mower is still running to drown out his cussing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do you all have moments like these?

Or am I the only twisted one here?

2. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

i do that 2....i love O turn mowers
  3. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Of Course we do.... I mean..... I do. HAHA.

I remember cutting this one yard and seeing a homeowner trying to cut 2 ft high grass with a push mower. I love how people lack simple common sense, because this guy didn't even raise the deck high, he just tried taking it all at once. He hit a huge branch that was buried in the rough and started cursing up a storm. It was great. I feel sorry for people like this but can't work up enough salesperson balls to be like " hey, I'll do that for ___" when their all pissed off. Maybe those times are a great for selling work, but the sick morbid side of me just wants to sit there and laugh.:laugh:
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see how you compare you with a homeowner in your minds at all.
  5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

We hav e a neighbor that we have "Competed" with for the last 15 years. He is always trying to one up us in the landscaping department. Ever since we started using the stripping kit, he has been attempting to run his simplicity tractor in the same manner has our zeros to create stripes. It now takes him almost two hours to do what use to take hime 20 minutes (doing K turns.) We now make the stripes run in the direction of his front door just to screw with him!:drinkup:
  6. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

Geez lawn man, take on somebody your own size/speed. The guy was probably pissed because the dust storm you created was blowing right on his freshly washed vehicles. Shouldn't you be in a pasture with that machine. Get down off your high horsey and smell the coffee.. There are alot of homeowners that pay our wages, know what i mean? Heck, some of them are probably reading this right now.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL no, but it's their own fault for trying to compete with us, I've had this happen to me before, too...
    That was back in the days, even with my '95 52" 4-speed proline I could at least match any homeowner's model.

Nowadays, I'll whoop you without even trying so don't tempt me. :laugh:
    Then again I don't pay it no mind anymore, I'm too far in my own world to notice them...
    Only thing that challenges me anymore is a Z with a crew of at least two.

The other bit I find funny is when I show up, sooner or later some neighbor just HAS to come out and start working outside, too... Especially now when it's 90+ outside, 20 minutes later they're always back inside, I'm like huh...?

The only time it frustrates me end is when they HAVE to come over and start wasting my time.
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a lawn with a police speed trap trailer in frount of the house and It kept reading 11 every time I went by on the hustler lol.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Bagit

Bagit LawnSite Member

If your going faster than about 8mph there probably isn't much grass on the lawn. Try mowing some nice thick grass w/few weeds at 11mph. You will be double cutting for sure..