chime in small axe

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by cspaugh, Apr 20, 2008.

1. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

If I remeber correctly you are an advocate of less lawn and more landscape. I have picked up a new client that wants to get rid of some turf and make the rest of the turf naturalized. I am in Georgia, zone 7, and cant seem to find much more than clover seed, I also have seed source for "pinks" dianthus that I think might look good in there. Just wondering if you had any other suggestions or sources for seed that would fit what I am trying to accomplish? Anyone else can feel free to add sugestions or comments, I just knew small axe was a little privy to the naturalized lawn. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

cspaugh I don't know if this'd work in your situation but I've paired up with a landscape designer the last couple of years to upsell this kind of thing. If a customer wants smaller installs in existing beds then I'll do it on my own but if they want bigger changes I bring her in. It works well for her because I bring her business she wouldn't otherwise have and she generates MUCH bigger invoices than I would on my own so there is plenty left over for me after paying her fee.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

4. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

Thanks gogo, but im not having design issues, just trying to find more plants to replace lawn with. A good example would be in the winter time white clover, crimson clover, and rye grass. I will be removing some of the existing lawn but have no problems "naturalizing" the wood boarder around the property. Thanks for your input, anyone else?

5. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

Thanks Kiril, intresting reading and nice list of plants.

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

7. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

Thanks treegal, do you know of anything that stays short? Im not looking for a prarie so to speak. Your link should keep me buzy reading for a minute, thanks again. I love the muhley grass though.:waving:

8. treegal1

Sisyrinchium angustifolium,Chasmanthium latifolium,Andropogon gerardi,Andropogon gerardi.

the blue eyed grass is my favorite.

btw using native plants is one of the best management tools a landscaper has.you are cool for doing this.hope i spelled it ok

9. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

Thanks again treegirl, your cool for the info, hope I spelled it right also :)
    How long have you been at this, you seem to know quite a bit ? :weightlifter:

10. treegal1

I started in 99 and have built it up slowly