china chem import

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by causalitist, May 6, 2008.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

any of u guys ever think of ordering bulk 2,4-d salt, dicama, clopyirlid etc in bulk from the chemical companies in china? i'm being quoted a price for 15lb dicamba, 55gal 2,4-d, we'll see if its insanely cheap. should have it in a day or so.

not taking this to seriously, but it's kind of interesting, even more so if they are really cheap.

maybe i can make a mix identical to eliminate or momentum fx2 for pocket change, who knows... after all, it's that label we pay for.

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Labels need to be licensed for use on turf here in Mn. Maybe more work and expense than it's worth here. Good luck. Let us know how it works out

3. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

With the reports of the kind of things coming out of China, how would you know you were getting what you are paying for? Have you read some of the news of some of this stuff?

If you bought some of this stuff from over there you would have no recourse if it didn't work or wasn't what it was advertised to be. Lots of risk involved that is for sure.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have imported some equiptment parts from China, freight is the biggest problem it is usuallu a deal killer

5. causalitist

well, I was quoted $3/Kg or $1.36/lb of 2,4-d amine

maybe i'll just try 5kg. 11lb 2,4-d for $15 big deal. shipping will be more, but thats still pocket change.

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

7. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Those fees sure do look like a bit more then pocket change to me.

8. causalitist

thats 22gal of 50% amine for ~$30 .... you dont think thats pocket change?

Also, i figured its regulated heavily. i suppose i will look into if i can just mix an identical product to say Q4 and put an identical label on it, or if i have to get it appoved by the epa ect.. prolly needs to get appoved..

I'll look into it, maybe I'll go into selling herbicides ahaha ,mix something the same as Q4 for a few $/gal, alot of paperwork and waiting, labeling... then I can sell you guys q4 for $30/gal :)

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have worked for a chemical company that sold insecticides. To start mixing pesticides legally, with all the Red Tape, The type of Facility and Saftey features required, insurance (Big one, my company spend a hair over a million a year), ect, you would need alot of money in start up capital.

As far as regulation goes, I'll give you an example. We had to have a license to sell our pesticides in any state that our pesticide would be sold. That means that if we sold a product to a distributor in Delaware, and he sold it in 20 other States, we had to be registered in all 20 states. Since we had no control over where any perticular distributor sold a product, we had to be licensed in all 50 states regardless. This is just one example of many. We had a guy who's only job was to make sure we were legal.

This is all for a company with about 10 office staff, and about 25 people working on the lines. We were one of the smallest chemical companies in the country.

10. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

The economic term is barriers of entry. You may quickly find that your idea to make a few quick bucks isn't as easy as you thought. Give it a shot if you would like, the EPA (among other agencies) will not make it easy on you though.