1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chinch bug aftermath need help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by playersc, Sep 29, 2007.

1. playersc

playersc LawnSite Member

I got chinch bugs this summer and then got alot of weeds, what can I add this fall or winter to keep the weeds from comming back this coming summer. This chinch bug, and gray leaf spot is all new to me, I have been doing alot of reading at hgic.clemson.edu on this grass but just wondering at you guys think any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks playersc.
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

whatever the chinch chewed on, is dead. You must reseed. An established lawn is the best defense against weeds.
  3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

re seed with a resistance of grass( fescue). whale it with starter fert. ..next yr. hit it with two split apps of pre m. early and hit it with talstar. in my area new jersey 427 and 877 degree-days. to treat chinch bugs
  4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

chinch bugs have been getting resistant to bifentrin down here in fla i'm noy sure what type of grass you have there but people are turning to arena here to treat cb. 25# bag of gran 50 -75 $ treats 5k @ high rate... 40 oz soluble treats 5 acres i think. down here people do it early summer for season control differs are the country
    some are using bifen xts with some success
  5. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

You need to resod the bad areas don't seed. I'm in coastal SC PM me and
    let me know where you are i may can help.
  6. playersc

playersc LawnSite Member

scweedman, I live in Andrews, 18 miles inland from Georgetown and the reason I looked for a site such as this is all the lawn spray companies I talked to said they would not come to my area.
    I cannot find a way to send a private message?
  7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Players: I live in Murrells Inlet. Scweedman is in business and can help with your applications. What type of grass do you have? On the Private Message--You need 25 posts before it will kick in. If you need to resod--it's getting a little late, but I can give you the name of a very good farm in Conway that delivers. There's a crew from Georgetown that will put it down for $40/pallette.
  8. playersc

playersc LawnSite Member

I have St. Augustine do not know what type. This is my second summer in this house which I purchased from a landscaper, I have learned alot these past few months (from mistakes mainly) on proper fertilizing, pests and diseases. Got alot of info from Clemson Extention Office in Georgetown and they even came out to my place to take a look.

scweedman do you have some contact info.

Thanks for all the help playersc.