Chinch Bug Trouble

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cpsaucier, Jan 15, 2008.

1. cpsaucier

cpsaucier LawnSite Member

I work in Central Florida and I have noticed that the pesticide Tal-Star, the go to product for chinch bugs, is losing it's effect. I think the bugs are getting immune to it. Has anyone tried the new pesticide "Arena" in this area? Does it work well? Is there a big price difference? Is there something even better out there?

2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

arena works well i would prefer the liq for chinch bugs over gran, but liq is in an expensive package.
    arena is a group 4 insecticide which is a good rotation from bifentrin, cyper., and permthrin products which i believe are group 3 the active in arena is clothianidin and i think it's similar to imidachloprid (metit)
    there is something going on with arena i think they might stop selling it and instead market a product call aloft (clothianidin and bifentrin)
    http://www.arystalifescience.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1836

3. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We have a product called Blistering Defense.
    This dis-flavors the food supply.

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

use demand cs...generic is cyanorra

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

cpsaucier

Regardless of what insecticide you use, be sure to apply it at 5 gallons per thousand or more mixed finish spray. St Augustine can hide a lot of Chinch bugs.