Chinch bug

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by CCF16, Aug 18, 2012.

1. CCF16

CCF16 LawnSite Member

Anyone have an organic method of getting rid of chinch. I have tried nematodes, neem and soap nothing seems to kill them

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, but I can't help you in Canada.

3. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Trounce is a product they are allowing now in Ontario. Pyrethrin and Fatty Acids.

I have not used it yet.

Arent you the Organic Lawn Franchise from Enviromental fractors or something like that.

Did they trick you into thinking neem was the answer. neem is illegal here.

Any how I hope this helps you out, its a registered pesticide and on the low impact list.

Heres what ELSE says: http://pr-rp.hc-sc.gc.ca/ls-re/resu...arketing_na=NOT+AVAILABLE&p_searchexpdate=EXP

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. CCF16

CCF16 LawnSite Member

Neem is still availble in stores until end of this year for home owners to do what ever. I did try it last year with some sucess but I can't use it this year. I have tried trounce on my own yard with limited luck, I'm looking for other organic methods that maybe are out there that I don't know about, always looking to try new things

5. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

since the neonicatonoids are made from tobacco try three cartoons of cigarette in a bucket of water for ten days then pour it on the area with chinch bugs and tell us how it worked

6. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Chinch Bugs, grubs, and weed control area areas where organics come up short.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

That depends upon the skill and knowledge of whoever is maintaining the property(s).

8. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Organics are good for certain things but you have to realize the limits or your only fooling yourself. Sometimes chemistry is the only answer. The spectrum of what can be controlled organically still has a long ways to go no matter who does the applications.

9. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

I have had great success with trounce.
    I buy it in concentrate and mix it my self, The key is to rake out the spots that are infected ( I use my De-thatcher ) This will remove the thatch that they hide under and helps repel the water / Trounce etc. :canadaflag::usflag:

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That idea is the right idea... :)

Changing the environment in such a way as to discourage cinch bugs... you say that 'raking' does the trick??? at least it helps???

Is it possible that this idea might reduce cinch bugs to tolerable levels?,,,
    w/out the use of a "Product"???

It seems to me that organic vs synthetic is just the difference between 2 marketing schemes... we're not learning to manage soils, insects, water, etc.,,, we're just learning which products to buy... :)