Chinches & Crane Flies

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Not long ago, I was picking Dr. Shetlar's brain (Entomologist in OSU's Turf Dept) about Crane Flies. If I remember what he said correctly, he made mention of a symbiotic relationship that crane flies have with chinch bugs. If I remember correctly, he said that where ever you see crane flies flying up out of the turf, there's an excellent chance (if not a 100% chance) that chinch bug detrius is present also. If I remember what he told me correctly, he said that the crane flies pupate in chinch bug detrius. If anyone can steer me straight on how this works, I'd be more than grateful. It's been a long time since Dr. Shetlar and I had that talk and I want to be clear on the facts. To be honest, I'm so unclear on what he told me, that he could have told me that it was MY detrius that crane flies come from for all I know.

2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't heard that they feed on Chinch bugs. I think they feed on nectar. I had one lawn that was coverd with Cranes and they were no chinch bugs.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

interesting post when i get done with the snow i see if i can find some info on that

4. Victor

Hi Thom. He didn't tell me they fed on chinch bugs. I think he mentioned something about crane fly larvae pupating in and maybe around chinch bug dookie. Doggonit Thom!!! You made me say dookie on Lawnsite! :eek:

I tried digging up some info on that by doing a Google search Dusty, but I couldn't turn up anything on it. I might have to write Dr. Shetlar and have him refresh me on that.

5. Victor

He said that Crane Flies like to lay their eggs in areas of grass that have died, SUCH AS areas that have been killed by Chinch bugs, Billbugs, etc.. He said that the decaying matter in these areas that have been killed is what they look for when they are ready to lay their eggs. That's good info to have. Man I love learning about this stuff!

6. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry. I have heard worse on the political form. Thanks for the info.