Chipper Accident

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nelbuts, Apr 30, 2004.

1. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Chippers are nasty little buggers if not treated with the fullest respect.
    I can say I'm glad I wasn't there when it happened.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is so sad of a story
  4. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I would rather burn then go through a chipper,.....poor guy:angel:
  5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Year after year the same story when will people learn. I feel sorry for his family.
  6. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I see these city workers chopping stuff all the time, no safety glasses or face shield, loose clothing and tennis shoes. It's obvious that they have no respect for the equipment and had probably little training for it...sad.

Saw one guy one day directing the traffic, one eye had a patch over it..wonder how that happened?

You know that accident devastated not only the family but the workers too.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

If I had an employee and something like that happened I would have to shut down the business. There would be no way that I could look at a chipper again if that happened to an employee of mine.
  8. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

same thing happened to my old roomate same exact way
  9. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen some bad accidents in manufacturing, no deaths thankfully but some lost fingers and mangled limbs.
    We had a grinder that worked similar to a chipper, we also had a few injuries on it.
    To teach employees to respect this machine we got a video camera, a 10lb turkey..thawd and pushed it toward the nip point, yanked it in and spit it out..all caught on film in about 5 seconds.

We showed this at a safety meeting. This is one of many ways to get the message across.

If you own or operate some dangerous equipment I would suggest you share this news story with your employees.
    Life's too short.
  10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Its natures way of eliminating the IDIOTS of the world. HOW STUPID do you have to be to climb into a running brush chipper?