1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chipper attachment for Walkers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ax Man, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone heard of, or possibly tried hooking a pto powered chipper to a Walker mower?
    This could be a good thing for my outfit, reducing pruning debris and fallen branches.
    Iv'e been eyeballing the ones in AM Leo., but don't want to clutter my shop.
  2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would be a little leary about putting a chipper attachment on a machine like a walker. They aren't exactly built to take a beating like that, and chipping brush is a big stress on parts.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Larry Stone was going to turn one of his Toro's into a chipper by drilling a hole in the top of the deck and feeding brush through it. I wouldn't dream of using a mower as a chipper.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Considering the size of material that you would be able to put into a Walker powered chipper I would just buy a small chipper and leave the Walker alone. Oh wait I already did that. I bought one of the Troybuilt powered chipper vacs and it works pretty good for cleaning up prunings and small limbs. Key works "small limbs"
  5. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I figured 25 hp, and shear pins in the driveshaft, it should be fine. I'm not looking to grind whole trees, just stuff from 2" down.
    You know how much room those branches take. especially when i prune crabs.
    I guess the Troybuilt is an option...
  6. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ax Man
    I was wondering the same thing just the other day about a chipper for a walker. It seems like they have just about everything else for one. I also think that a small slice seeder for the front would be very handy also. Meybe we need to start building?