Chipper blades dull?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Jan 25, 2007.

1. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I know this thread should be posted elsewhere, but I need exposure and I hope the Mods don't move it. I have an old chipper 6-8" barrel feed, no hydraulics. When I first got the chipper it could suck in a 15'x4" maple branch in about 1 sec. Now I have to cram it in. My question is are the blades dull? They don't look dull, not like a dull mower blade anyway. The belts are not slipping and the motor runs strong. It's just that it won't suck in branches anymore. This is probably a simple question, but it's my turn to ask one.

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Probably so. It seems like it doesn't take much for them to dull out.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you have no hydraulics then it comes down to the belt tension, belt and the two pulleys. I assume you checked the bearing on the cutter flywheel and it is smooth. When in doubt put on new belt and sharpen the blades they are easy to get off on our Vermeer. Maybe engine rpm has gone down for some reason. Probably didn't help much but this will bump it along.

4. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I was able to get the blades sharpened at a local machine shop. BIG difference. I'll have the shop install and adjust. It's too cold out there and I don't have a heated garage. Steel gets very brittle in the cold and I don't want to snap off any bolts. I already tried and the jack bolts are in there good. Better safe than sorry.