1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chipper for limbs and large bush trimming?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Pecker, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for a chipper that would be used only a few times a year (pruning large bushes, storm clean-up, which happens around here a few times a year thanks to the pine trees). It would see most of its use around my house here since I live on an acre, but also occassionally on a job. Would've been real nice a few weeks ago when one of my customers called me out to cleanup about 3 tretops the electric company had left in his yard. . .

Anyhow, my question is: what brands/models are available and at what price? Looking for one to handle 2-3" limbs.

Then, I'd like to know which model is the heaviest duty for the money. Probably don't need a commerical unit. Thinking along the lines of a Troybuilt (are they any good?).

I've searched the net and really haven't found much about the smaller yard sized chippers. Any info is appreciated.:confused:
  2. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

If you are just looking for a light duty small unit I'd look into bearcat. I know a few people that have them and really like them. I don't know about price but I know they are a lot cheaper than my 6" bandit ($18000)
  3. Pecker

Ok. Thanks. I'll check it out.

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

If you have a tractor with a PTO, a small 6" one can be had new for relatively short change.

Look aroundl; alot of drum chippers (which would fit your needs more than adequately) can be had used for $2000 - $3500... not much more than Troy-Bilt's topper.

And the productivity of a real chipper versus one of those chipper-shredder P.O.S.'s is night and day.
  5. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

yeah, get one of those cheap troybuilts that handle like 4-6" stuff, i use a Gravely that can handle like 12" stuff and that thing i'm sure cost a damn lot of $$$$... the clutch to fix cost like 5K.... but it'll eat damn near anything. some one told me they used a 20" chipper i was like, DAMN!!!!!!! just throw the whole tree in there...

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

That would be why they call it a WHOLE TREE CHIPPER. Great for lot clearing, but probably more than ****** would ever need.
  7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

For occasional use, can you really justify the cost?

Think about it- once the limbs are chipped, then what will you do with them? You either have to compost them or take them to a dump site.

If you don't chip the limbs, they can be burned, which produces a MUCH smaller pile.....

For occasional use, I'd probably look for a tree service to hire once a year or so, depending on how many limbs you've got. Let them worry about maintaining the chipper. Or check your local rental yards, I know both of ours have chippers....

8. Pecker

Yeah, burning would be the best option but I live just inside the city limits. What I had in mind was picking up a small used one for a few hundred bucks. My uncle came across a TroyBilt chipper that'd only been used once or twice for $300 at a yard sale. The thing looked BRAND new.

I don't need it for anything serious, and I sure don't have thousands to blow on it either. Just trying to see what brands are out there for small stuff (residential grade).

Thanks to everyone for their help.
  9. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

well, in san antonio, you dial 311 on your phone, and it directly connects you to the brush pick-up... city comes, estimates the cost, and then picks up, all you have to do is stack in on the curb and they pick it up. chipper or city, you dont have to worry about much i guess... just see if your city offers something like that.
  10. Pecker

DAL. . .does the city charge you for that? Ours only does that after a storm, but I'll check to see if they do it by special request. That'd be great. Thanks for the info.