Chipper question for brush cleanup

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TOOMUCHWALKING, Jul 10, 2008.

1. TOOMUCHWALKING

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

I was walking through Home Despot a few days ago and noticed a 10 HP chipper for $ 650. Whenever I do yards after a windstorm, there are alot of branches that take up too much space in the truck. Anybody use this type of thing ?

2. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

the problem i see is hauling it around. my mowre trailer is always behind my truck, which has all the tools needed for a cleanup. no room for a chipper.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

If its the style chipper I'm thinking of, don't waste your time and money. I once had a 7.5 hp Troy Built chipper, biggest joke ever.

4. TOOMUCHWALKING

Are there chippers made that are sized somewhere between the 5/10 horsepowermand 200 horsepower diesel versions ?

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

vermeer and rayco both build a 25hp model. thats the smallest machine you would want to use.

6. TOOMUCHWALKING

What do those units cost ?

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Do you really want to spend the extra time to chip up branches at each job? I just throw them into the back of the truck as long as its just a few, but if its any more than that, I would quote a cleanup.

We can only do so much in a day, chipping is going to be a real time killer, especially doing it for free!

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 7.5 hp box store chipper, the only thing its good for is killing time. I have never brought it to a jobsite.

9. TOOMUCHWALKING

Two things I want to do...shrink all the branches I have to pick up throughout the week and after a storm; and take care of piles at customer houses...I'm trying to do more by myself in limited time. At home I could be sipping a refreshment while reducing volume of, um, stuff. Again; how much are the 25 hp units, and are the used ones on ebay worthwhile ? Thanks, Rolf. B.T.W.-- I don't do anything free !