1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chipper: Rent or buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Have rented chippers on several occasions, at $100 or more a day. I would much rather have my own. Branches and trees over 2 - 3" I cut up for firewood, so I don't need a monster chipper.
    Anyone own one? What is minumum HP to get real work done? Is the Troybilt 10 HP Tomahawk a consideration, or is it in the catagory of homeowners' toy?
  2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

My dad had a 3 point mount chipper shreader that worked real nice....I dont remember the brand but it was handy to have.....I would say if you rent one on a consistant basis then def. consider purchasing one....Oh ya what kind have you been renting? If it worked good consider asking the rental company if they ever sell there inventory....

Just my 2 cents!

3. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

My partner and i have a chipper. It is a 10 hp. It is great for clean up's. it mulches leaves from what would fill 10 bags to 1. It is also great to bring along when you have hedges to cut back.

If you got the space @ your shop you could make a compost pile and sell it by the truck load.
  4. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a commercial 8 hp and it sure does help during the cleanup season. Got it for $100.00 used once two years ago when a elderly guy bought it during hurricane season to clean up his yard. I think that might be the kind of item you can find pretty cheap by looking in the paper. People trying to clean out their garage etc..
  5. Joseph Meidling

Joseph Meidling LawnSite Member

I have been using the 10 HP Troybilt for 2 years now with no problems. I have chipped the branches from maybe 40-50 large trees with no problem. Just change the oil and sharpen the blade and your good to go.
  6. crs

crs LawnSite Member

I have a very old Troybuilt 5hp chipper/shredder that was given to me by a customer. I had thought about buying one but was hesitant to spend the money. However, if anything happened to it I would rush out to replace it. I don't think the 5hp is quite powerful enough, however it does what I need it to do. It is great for cleanups and shredding pruning debris. It has allowed me to leave the deris at most sites rather than having to haul it away
  7. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

i have the Troybilt 10 Hp & use it regularly to clean up small stuff (less than 1.5") it works great! keep it clean, blade sharp & oil changed & you will be happy