Chipper / Shedders

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tuscanvalleylandscaping, Sep 24, 2005.

1. tuscanvalleylandscaping

tuscanvalleylandscaping LawnSite Member

I'm a small operation with 20 accounts. Tired of hauling limbs & branches around off of clean up jobs. What size and hp Or model should i buy and is it worth the investment on limted buget.

2. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

I got a MTD chipper shredder thats got a 6.5 hp Briggs intek OHV engine . Works good take up to 3inch dia stuff . i have got larger thru it . just takes commen sence and paitence .

I hear alot of complaints about the size chipper i own but , people have to get it in their heads this is not a asplundh chipper . ya cant toss fire wood thru it and expect it to zip zap mulch it up

3. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a MacKissac 10hp Briggs Intek this past summer. You can pull or tow behind a tractor. It doesn't look massive but it works great!! We had a demo and was impressed. It takes 3" in the chipper and shreds up to 1" dia. The design has been around for years. We paid around 1500.00. Great investment. Matt

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I know this is an old thread but thought I would bring it back up as I am in the same boat as the original poster. I need a inexpensive chipper to handle large piles of pecan limbs, up to 3", mostly smaller. I would not use this thing everyday, just after a bad storm when the clints have lots of pecan limbs. The bigger than 3" I saw up for my fireplace. I am tired of hauling off trailor loads of limbs 20 miles to the landfill. I know that a commercial unit is much better but I will not use it that often. Are there any light duty commercial or a decent home owner model. I looked at one at blowes yesterday for 500 but I as scared of the junk they sell. Just looking for suggestions.

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Good used chippers are hard to find. And as far as that homeowner crp goes... you get what you pay for. Do some research, find something for a couple grand and you might get a chipper that will take the abuse.