1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chipper Shredder for cleanup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro36, May 19, 2008.

1. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Does anybody have a chipper shredder in their cleanup arsenal? I was looking at one because with most of the cleanups I do the leaves and debris can not be blown right to the truck. I usually use barrels to bring everything to the truck so I figured I would dump them in the shredder and fit more in the truck. I also could use the chipper to clean up the limbs I pic up in the spring. Anybody use one of these or have any advice on using them for this? Thanks
  2. metro36

Bump Anyone.
  3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't done that yet, but it does sound like a decent idea. my dad used a chiper to chip cow manure to but on his garden, and it worked really well.
  4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one at an auction to try. Just waiting for somebody to call me and want their trees trimmed. :cool:
  5. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

We have a small one and use it pretty often. When we do tree removal, we limb them and everything under 3" inches is shredded and everything over is cut into firewood. The one we use has a 10:1 reduction ratio and I can safely say it's true.

We actually use it so much that we're building removable sides and top and a mount on the tailgate so we can chip right into the truck rather than into bags and then emptying them.
  6. metro36

Well I am looking at the bearcat 3" chipper with an 8hp briggs and the optional debris blower.
  7. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

we have been using a shredder a lot. when you have a lot of limbs you can shred them into mulch and fit a lot into a truck a lot easier than limbs. also shredding helps with down time due to weather conditions.
    you have to find a shredder that can take larger limbs because the smaller chippers you have to break down the limbs to fit into the shredder. we tried a 3" but that includes anything that is not 3" so if you have limbs 3/8" thick but with curves it won't fit unless you break the limb down first. which takes valuable time. we found a shredder that works great and has paid for it's self many times over. it the eliet shredder.www.georgecarrpowerproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Eliet_Shredders.html Self propelled, up to 4.5" X 20" wide limbs with a hydraulic feed. 24 knives running at 3600 rpms with a 18hp briggs engine. they have different screen sizes. we have the conveyor belt which we can load wheel barrows and into our trucks. i paid $12500 3 years ago and it's still running great, changed knives once. they have smaller unit available.

8. metro36

I have to say that thing is a beast but I am only really looking for one to shred leaves and small branches. I dont want to spend that much or want something of that size.
  9. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I own 2 chippers, a 8hp Sears fan type and a Mckissic

12pt8 trailer. I like the 10hp Mckissic fan type because the

feed is low. Easy to load. The 12pt8 is a hammer mill type.

I have 3 screens for it. I would put leaves in the fan type leave out the screen and put leaves in, next pass put in
    screen, instant dirt. Ed
  10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member