Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, May 28, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Guest

For next year I was thinking of getting a chipper/shredder to help with clean ups. Just something to handle basic lawn debris and some occasional light tree pruning etc.
    While looking through catalogs and on-line, I see that there are a few manufaturers that make a lawn vac with chipper/shredder built in.
    This looks ideal for spring/fall clean ups and tree/hedge trimming.
    Anyone using any of these type products? If so, which brands do you like?
    I kinda like the Troy-Bilt unit. Chips up to 3.5" branches.
    Any input? Thanks.
  2. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I used a "Harry Homeowner" 5.5 HP MTD chipper/shredder last season on a long term, couple hour here/couple hour there, project for my neighbor. It was his and he wanted me to use it in hopes I would purchase it from him or trade for some of my labor fees when I was done. The final product was great. In the end, I was able to get almost a pickup load of stuff (small limbs, sticks, leaves, vines, etc.) into a large grass bag.

Getting to the final product was the problem. On this particular model there was not enough power, it would not feed properly, and couldn't really handle anything over an inch in diameter. Maybe it was underpowered, maybe the blades were dull. I just know it would have been faster for me to take truck loads of stuff to the dump rather than chip and shred all that stuff.

Here is the basis of my story. Use the Tim Allen theory on this... MORE POWER. Make sure it feeds well and can truly handle the size stuff it says it can. You don't want to have to "baby-sit" each hand full of stuff that gets stuffed into the intake chute to make sure it goes through the shredder. I would recommend staying away from "homeowner Grade" and go with commercial, even light commercial if that is all you can afford. It will save you many frustrations in the end.

I hope this helps,
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

gogetter ive had a billygoat chip/vac for yrs now,its always on my trailer i use it alot for cleaning out the curbs, its been great no problems and it takes a 2" branch. I think the billygoat is one of the best. Marks Mowing Service
  4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I use a sears 8 hp does well up to 3". also have a Roto-Hoe 5hp
    If I buy another Mckissik 8 hp or a Bearcat 8. Would like a bigger Roto-Hoe 11 hp but they went out of business