Chipper/Shreder

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MattsMowing3535, Oct 31, 2006.

1. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright. I have a preety good idea what people are going to tell me in this thread but, I am just checking! So I can get a Craftsman 9 HP Leaf Vac/Chipper (Thing?) For $200 dollers. I have heard well. . .?Bad? things about them. Most of you have amazing companies working 24/7 I'm 15 and wouldnt us it much more then 5 times as much as a homeowner. I'm thinking backyard cleanups and Spring/Fall only. Would it hold up? Is it a preety good deal. I just dont know if I can spend thosands on a truck loader next season. Maybe I could just convert this somehow. Or just lift the bags up into the truck bed next season ( I will be 16 as of march) Sorry its getting long. Please give me your thoughts on the Chipper/Shredder!~
    Thanks,
    <Matt

2. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

find yourself a troy-bilt (pre-mtd), I'd highly recommend the 8hp over the 5.

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

what you you load the leaves up into would bags be cleaner and more productive to haul them away

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of those things. Very hard to turn it into a truck loader unless you have access to a machine shop. I would still recommend you buy it though. From what I read about you, it should work good. And for amount of use it will get it will last a long time. If anything, it will shred the leaves and reduce the volume so there is less to haul.

5. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright thanks! I have access to a machine shop so. Maybe someday i will turn it into a leaf loaded. I do alot of brush cleanups. So I thought this thing might help out!

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

These things are for homeowners who want to do a little mulching.....these things are just a little toy. We bit on a Troy-bilt 9hp and found it to be more trouble than worth....easier ways to get rid of branches and leaves than running them through one of these little machines.

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I had one. It lasted about a month. it was easier to just cut up the branches and stick them in a garbage bag

8. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

Nothing but a waste of time and money. Before you think of buying this ask if you can chip a few small branches and you will know the answer in about 15 minutes. (The time it will take to chip a few small branches)