Chipper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, Oct 9, 2000.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking for a good chipper for tree pruning..what is a good brand and how much should I expect to pay?

2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if you're talking about a tow behind or one of the small ones. My uncle gave me his in August. It can take leaves in the hopper, or vac hose. It also takes up to 3" limbs. I like it, but it may not be something good for every day use. The ones similar to it are about $800 to $900. Can't tell you much about the big commercial units.

3. LoneStarLawn

looking for big commercial tow behind

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

5. LoneStarLawn

I've check out there site but there is no pricing..really looking for price....a friend who runs another company got one used for $20,000 looking for price of new....

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Vandermeer or something like that i have seen some of those around too

7. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

Vermeer, Gravely, Bandit all make large units. The price can vary radically depending on engine size. 20hp up to 120hp, it's a big range, so's the price. I have seen some of the larger units at $80,000.00Can+
    What size wood do you need to chip?

Alan

8. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We've been using a Brush Bandit 250xp for some time now and it seems to be a very reliable and efficient unit. It cost about $26,000 new and is fairly well equipped. Cummins Turbo diesel, 100' winch, telescoping trailer tongue, and more. It takes nice big pieces and is easy to operate. We were renting from local tree guys in their down time, and this make seemed to be the most popular, so it only made sense to go with it. Try before you buy!

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

there is a company in c.t. that makes a good product.
    there name is salsco.
    here is the web site
    http://www.salsco.com

10. LoneStarLawn

The most I would put through a machine would be 4 in. probably mostly 3 in. in diameter. Anything bigger would be cut for fire wood.