1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Dec 1, 2000.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Have chance to pick up 6hp chipper for 150
    cost 600 new in june.Can money be made with
    these things. never owned one.
    By the way all this stuff is comming from a
    truck driver that mowed pt time.
    He came home unexpectedly when a load canceled
    and found the wrong thing in his bedroom.
    heck of a world aint it.He is cutting loose
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Except for chipping up the occasional real small pruning job these things are worthless. I have a 9hp chipper/vac and it hasn't been used in over 2 years.
  3. If you can get good paying jobs chipping ball bats, buy it.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

No good for making money. If its for around an old man's house where he has nothing better to do, it works good, but I wouldn't use it commercially unless you really have a problem dumping debris locally.

BTW, just a heads up, a lot of guys think they can throw the chipped mulch they made around the house, or the trees or whatever, but don't do that unless you treat it for insects and seal it. The ants a termites will go crazy for it, and when they're in that, they're on your shingles and framework or your tress, etc.

You got a good deal though, maybe you can make some omney selling it?

Good Luck!
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A small chipper like that is good for home owners, but for commercial work you need something bigger. Either rent a large chipper or sub the work out to a tree company.
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

awm, I have 3 small chippers, whenever I have a small pruning job I usually throw one on the trailer to mulch up the prunings. This way most customers have somewhere that I can dump the mulch and I don't have to make a special trip to the dump with a trailer load of crap partway thru the day. The smallest one is only 3 feet square so it doesn't take up much trailer space. It's only 5 hp but it will chip up a fresh 3" branch.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks forthe advice.Ill probably let it
    go.Spent enough mon lately.Now to
    wait it out until ican get some return.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

awm--buy it and just jeep it. I've got a bunch of non profittable toys, chipper included, but for making money, forget it.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I can naw wood with my teeth faster.

Those things would just frustrate the hell out of me. Not for commercial application.