1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chipping Shredding and Piling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Sep 10, 2003.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Got word on a Forest service/County Parks project up for bid. They want roughly 75 acres thinned and chipped and left with the piles being spread out.
    New equiptment I would have to buy is a heavy duty chipper some where in the 6000.00 range. I have done this before with my Father on our property and 3 surounding properties (paid by forest service fire safety grants), and estimate it to take me alone roughly 4 weeks of 8 hours a day 6 days a week. Or me and another LCO talked about submitting one bid and tackeling it together. (some what hesatant about working with him)
    If I were to win the bid work would start on January 2 and I have 2 months to complete.
    My question, since it is that time of the year when things are slow, would you do it yourself and reap all of the benifits
    and two what would you charge.

Specifics needed
    Chipper shreder 6000.00
    Gas and oil. estimate 250.00 for truck and saws/ equiptment .
    no disposal fees

Close to home 10 miles away.

I know that the forest service paid us 25000 to clear 180 acres 5 years ago.

My estimate is 17500 but curious how you would bid or if you have worked Forest service contracts before?

Thanks in Advance.
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I checked into the chipper a little better. New price for one that will accomidate what I need it to do is 6895.00.
    I called a couple of rental companies and they will rent it by the week for 395.00 or by the month for 1095.00.
    Thinking about renting unless i forsee more contracts being awarded this fall.