1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

chips or stones? how do you lay stones

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bigjeeping, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Gave an esimate for 15 yards of woodchips ($85/yd installed) for "ground cover" in this guy's backyard. He wants to go with me but then wanted an estimate for laying stone down instead so that he wont have to re-mulch every year.

I've never worked with stone...... would I first lay down a plastic lining then put the stone on top? How many inches of stone? Are there any names for stone mixes that would work?

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

By us the common decorative stone is:

3/4" & 3/8" Barn Red Stone

1" & 1-3" Delaware River Rock

Pea Gravel---not sure on the size but white & yellow in color...I never deal with it.

I don't lay plastic down I use a good landscape fabric. Plastic won't let the water drain through...unless you pole holes through it and then it kinda defeats the purpose of the weed barrier.
  3. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

We usually till the beds, Preen then depending on customers request, we apply a weed barrier. Our most common stone install is 3/4" red stone or 1"-2" river rock. Most of our customers usually decline the fabric and apply weed/grass killer as needed.
  4. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

we have tons of different kinds of rock around here.. i would go with 2-3 inches of rock and charge double the labor you figured for your mulch..