Chlorine vs. Nematodes

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ParadiseLS, Apr 26, 2011.

1. ParadiseLS

ParadiseLS LawnSite Member

Anyone familiar with "Grub Busters" products in their local garden centers knows that you place the product (nematodes) in a sprayer bottle that attaches to a garden hose and the nematodes are siphoned from the bottle into the running water.

anyways, does the residential water present any significant dangers to the nematodes?

i've read before that when you are spraying water from household supply the chlorine will generally just evaporate if you use a spray pattern that disperses the water and produces mist (worst of all, i can't remember where i read that, so i can't double-check it). so using a fan spray pattern, would the nematodes be safe???

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You need to ask the manufacturers... if they don't give a definitive answer, write it off as snake oil...

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I have not use that particular product so I cannot answer from experience.
    I have used nematodes for grub control with some success when conditions are right.

I suggest you start here for reliable info:
    http://turf.lib.msu.edu/2000s/2007/070326.pdf

4. organiclawncanada

organiclawncanada LawnSite Member

There is no issue with the Chlorine and the Nematodes. If you have any questions contact Lorelei @ Environmental Factor Inc. I use the "grub buster" nematodes all the time as an Environmental Factor Franchisee. We also sell larger quantities than the balls to Landscapers if you need them. If you were at the Congress Show you would have seen our booth there in the Green Expo displays.

5. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

I very highly doubt this. Have you verified this by microscope? It could be said that chlorinated (or chloriminated) water when sprayed through the air may have a minimal effect on nematodes already in the soil. If you are distributing live nematodes which are being submerged in a vessel with continuous running water, I cannot see that there would not be a negative impact, not only from chlorine products but potentially water temperature. If it is nematode eggs you are distributing this way there is better chance of success. You are better off mixing them into a watering can (or sprayer) which has sat (at the same ambient temperature) or which has had chlorine or chloramines neutralized.

6. Tim Wilson

I just had a look at the Environmental Factors website. I'll be interested to contact them to see how they maintain a 4 month shelf life on live nematodes. I've had trouble keeping them alive in a sealed bag longer than one week.

7. Tim Wilson

Found part of my answer;

Here is the rest of the article. I never realized that insect parasititic nematodes could be of the bacterial feeders. That is what I raise, although I have not determined the species.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

depending on the species, most can live 3 months in an aquarium without food AND procreate

9. Tim Wilson

Bill; You've done this? You raise nematodes? or have citations? most? In an aquarium with what?....just glass?...or do you mean with soil...or water? If water then you are not discussing soil nematodes....almost every nematode seller on the continent says not to leave them in water for longer than a couple of hours.