Choices, choices: SCAG Freedom Z vs Snapper Pro CZT1948

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vjarnot, Mar 20, 2008.

1. vjarnot

vjarnot LawnSite Member

Snapper is 19hp Kawasaki, 48" deck, SCAG is 26hp B&S, 48" deck...

I can get either for the same price ($4600, is that any good?), any suggestions one way or the other? I haven't found a whole lot of talk about Snapper...

I was also looking at a Hustler Fastrak, but the dealer here wants $1000 more than I can get the SCAG or Snapper for...

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

scag.......

3. vjarnot

vjarnot LawnSite Member

Any reason? Spec-wise it seems that the Snapper is ahead on all counts (other than engine hp).

4. vjarnot

vjarnot LawnSite Member

Another choice just entered the mix, a used SCAG Tiger Cub (2005, 48", Kohler) with 370 hours on it for $4000... Good deal?

The owner says that the hours on the meter are higher than actual, because the hour meter was running whenever the keys were left in it (in the on position), which apparently happened quite often. SCAG claims their hour-meter only runs when the engine is on, but was that the case in 2005?

5. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was looking at the Freedom Z, the dealer sold both Scag and Snapper. He talked me out of the Snapper quick. He suggested the Scag. His price was $4999.95, so you do have a good price there.

6. vjarnot

vjarnot LawnSite Member

Well I own a Snapper now, it'll be delivered tomorrow. It's beefier all around, and weighs 15% more, plus has the Kawasaki rather than a B&S, those factors sold me on the Snapper. For my usage (just a homeowner cutting his own place) I'm sure either would've done fine...

7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I woulda bought the Tiger Cub. 370 hrs is nothing, unless it was actually reading low vs. high due to being unhooked.

8. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

How much did it run you??

I was looking at the 450Z a year ago, I never did get any nubers or delo it, just because the dealer switched me to a Scag immeditaly..