Choices Scag or Toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Integritylawncare, May 10, 2006.

1. Integritylawncare

Integritylawncare LawnSite Member

I'm just starting in my business, next to no accounts. I have an opportunity to buy a Scag unknown how old from a dealer which is gear driven with a Kohler, which is clean and owned by a homeowner for about $1600. Or, a Toro Proline 2000 model with a Kohler Commander, Hydro drive, T-bar, owned by homeowner who mows 1/2 acre per mowing, also has been stored for 2 yrs. since being owned for $1700 - $1750. Both have fixed decks. Both again in good to excellent shape.
  2. Stan's_Lawn_Service

Stan's_Lawn_Service LawnSite Member

I would go with the Toro if it is T-bar.
    Stans Lawn Service Stan
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Here you go.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Toro, SCAG's have one of the most ******** ways of changing the cut height I've ever seen. I can't imagine toro could be any worse. you also know the history of the toro.
  5. F Haney

F Haney LawnSite Member

I have used Toros for 10 years and have high regards for them. I also think the Kohler Command engine is a plus. And you know the history of the Toro better than the Scag. Good luck
  6. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

They are both excellent machines. I own both and each have thier advantatages. Take them out and use them on the most adverse conditions you can find and base your descision on that, not what we have to say. It will be you that use the unit, not the members on this forum that use it, also, look at the dealer for each unit and use that to help you make your decision....
  7. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

By the way, Welcome to the site. Courtesy goes a long way.....
  8. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I am very impressed with the T-Bar system. I just purchased a new Toro ZTR and the dealer gave me a demo of the walkbehind with the T-Bar. Wow I can't believe how easy it is to operate. No more scraping knuckles on the side of a house or a fence anymore...:clapping: I will be adding a hydro walkbehind to my trailer in the next few month and it will be a new Toro with the T-Bar system. Good Luck!!!! I will also be adding a trailer