1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Choke line frozen?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by CK82, Nov 27, 2007.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I believe my choke line for my Toro Z Master mower got some water in it or something and froze, because it is basiccally stuck. The temps have been in the 20's or less at night here lately, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem? I assume it is frozen because it happened to me last year on an older model Z Master at when the temps dipped below freezing. If you think this is the problem please help with correcting it and keeping this from happening in the future when its cold out. Thank you, Chris
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this cable doesn't have the plastic casing cover keep it lubed up with Fluid Film, This will take care of the freezing.
  3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

And in addition to what Restro said--if it has a plastic covering, with a sharp knife or boxcutter held at the proper angle you can cut a swath out of the entire length of the cable, then Liquid Film. Never cared for the plastic covered cable as it holds moisture.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Gone through 3 choke cables over the years. I just change them out with new. Our 52" has been seized up all year. We get started in the morning then it starts on its own the rest of the day.