Choke vs priming system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by avjohnson, Jun 26, 2007.

1. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

I've always had good luck using your basic standard choke when starting my engines...I recently bought an edger that uses a primer thingy instead and it is driving my kinda crazy getting it to start. I end up having to prime it like 10 times to get it to start: prime 5 times--pull--little kick and sputter. Prime 5 more times, little kick runs for a couple seconds stalls. Prime 10 times, turn gas way up and it coughs and sputters for a while and if I'm lucky it eventually starts. Is there a secret to this frustrating system? Why are manufacturers using this system? I friggen hate it. I had even worse problems with a new Toro that also had the primer instead of a choke a few years ago...

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Probably a calssic case of "Operator Error". Everything I have with a primer bulb starts easily for me. It took my helper a little while to get good at it. It's funny, he would be trying to start the trimmer and I would just sit back and watch.......waited until he gave up and I would fire it up on the first pull. There is an order in which you must start these machines. It also helps if the piece of equipment isn't some Walmart junk.

3. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

I cheaped out on the edger--loved my Little Wonder but just too pricey so I got a new Husqvarna at half the price. I think I'm being penalized because of that.