1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stslawncare, Mar 31, 2003.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys, a friend of mine was looking at my truckk today in attempt to find the cure to the smoking problem. he noticed a wire coming off the choke that was not attached to anything (looked broke) well after that my soon to be step dad insists that it has a mechanical choke and not an electrical, anyone have any insight on this? if its electrical where should the wire go to. by the way the flap is about half way closed and not moving. its a 85 ford f-150 straight 6. thanks
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

anyone have any thoughts on this? electric or mechanical choke? how hard to make it a manual choke?
  3. ABM

ABM LawnSite Member

I have an '86 Ford with the straight six. It had a electric choke from the factory, but I have since removed it. If yours is stock it is probably electric, but someone along the line could have put a manual on it. If this is the case it will have a small wire running to a bracket on the choke lever. On mine I just disconnected the choke and wired it open, starts fine but I have to pump the gas while starting in extremely cold temps (below 20 degrees) and let it warm up some before leaving it idling. The manual chokes are fairly easy to install though and can be purchased at any parts store. They are generally a generic one fits all part. Hope this helps.