Choose your Engine Technology

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by Tanaka, Feb 3, 2005.

?

Which statement best describes your position on engine technology?

1. I am switching my handheld equip. to hybrid 4-cycle / 4-cycle as soon as possible.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. I am considering going to hybrid 4-cycle / 4-cycle technology

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. I am 100% behind two-stroke now and for the future.

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  4. I didn't think I had a choice - I thought two-stroke is going away.

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Choose your Engine Technology

2. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

How would 4 cycle have better results than a 2 cycle? What I am trying to say is Does 4 cycle have any advantages over 2 cycle?

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes, a four cycle does have some advantages, but the disadvantages out weigh them. the 4 cycle 2 cycle hybrids though, are really coming along. they have better tourque ratings than the pure to cycle and are just as light, not dipstick either. I personally like the hybrids better than the two cycles. I feel that it cuts better at lower rpms and is lighter than a 2 cycle trimmer that has comparable tourque. in my opinion though, the stihls have absolutly NO throttle control. I much prefer the shindaiwa hybrid to the stihl.

mark, is tanaka planning on coming out with a hybrid?

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    First, Tanaka is committed to its PROVEN PureFire 2-stroke engine technology for the future. No hybrids in sight!

In addition to poor throttle response, consider the hybrid 4-cycle maintenance drawbacks as well:

1. Valve adjustments every 135 hours

2. Certain replacement parts can only be purchased as assemblies which allow less flexibility and higher costs.

3. 16 moving parts = excessive wear and increased service.

Ask yourself this before switching:
    Is it really worth the maintenance headaches, increased costs, and added downtime?

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both and I really like the Stihl 4 Mix. It has very good low RPM performance and power. Quiet and well built, easy to start. Just wish they were about 2 pounds lighter for those all day jobs.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I actually found that the throttle response on my hybrid was better than a two cycle. I had much more control in the mid and lower speed range.

I know that there is more maintenace in hybrids, but I think the benefits out weigh the risks.

if you ever do decide to come out with one, I'll be sure to take a look.

7. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I have seven 2-stroke units and one Shindaiwa T2500 that I have used for ½ year. For now I'm staying with the 2-strokes until I see how the 4-stroke hybrid does over the next several years.

I've had very few problems with the 2-strokes. Some are 8 and 9 years old. One unit has been run 400 hours and one over 500 hours.

8. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

I run all stihl's since I have good dealer support, and once you start out with the same brand, it's hard to switch unless you're having problems. I haven't had any problems with my 2-stroke or 4-mix model weedeaters except the ignition module went out on my 2-stroke a couple years back. As far as the 4-mix goes, it's a superb weedeater with surprising torque. I usually tend to use my 4-mix for big growth, and my 2-stroke for smaller edging and trimming jobs as a nice smooth low to mid-throttle range is harder to attain on my 4-mix.

As for the Tanaka rep., why neglect a growing market of customers? Successful businesses are always receptive to change and innovation as well as pushing the envelope. You can be behind your 2-stroke units 100% as well as having a 4 cycle line. Your only challenge then is trying to come up with a better unit than your competitors.

9. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Tanaka became the first two-stroke manufacturer to certify to the C.A.R.B. Tier II emissions standards in 1998. Since then, we have been improving our PureFire two-stroke engine technology to meet future regulations.

Tanaka is committed to providing landscapers with products that make your jobs easier. That being said, here are some advantages Tanaka two-stroke has over hybrid 4-cycle and 4-cycle engines.

1. No new maintenance headaches caused by valve adjustments, many more moving parts, and increased parts costs.

2. You can get more done with less fatigue because Tanaka two-stroke units weigh less than hybrids or straight 4-cycle units.

3. No compromised cutting speeds (as you mentioned) means more productivity and profitability.

Thanks for your comments,

Mark Woodling
    Tanaka

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I know this is kinda off topic, How does tanaka edgers stand up or compare to others?