1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a business name....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sauls1686, Oct 2, 2003.

1. I am trying to decide what to name my business.

Right now I am using the name "Shiloh Lawns". I like this name a lot, and when I get my diesel truck and new trailer, thats what I want on the sides.

But right now I am pretty much 'mow 'n go and have a horrible trailer and car.

how do you guys pic a name? I dont like "Bobs Lawn Care" or "S&S Lawn Care" etc.

how do you leave room for your business to grow, but dont overstate your current services in the naming of your business?
  2. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

You're kinda on your own here. On the forums, you'll get mixed answers. If you name yourself a lawn care service...people will say, but what if you decide to do other things later....don't limit yourself. If you call yourself ? Landscaping or something more, then you may get calls from people seeking more than what you do.

Basically, I think if you're happy with your name, that's all you need. On all my flyers, etc..I list all the services I perform.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

perhaps just brainstorm ideas, talk with relatives, friends, & family members regarding the topic. See what they think would be a good name
  4. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan to incorporate, be sure whatever name you choose is not already taken. If your state Secretary of State has an on-line presence, you may be able to do an on-line search of business names.
  5. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely consider the future when naming your business. Go with something that sounds and looks good now, but that you can add onto later.

Example: I started my business this last spring. I named it Clean Cut Lawn Care. This coming spring I will be renaming it Clean Cut Lawn and Landscape. People will still know that it's the same business, but they will see that we have expanded. I will also be able to send letters to my customers telling them about my name change and letting them know that I am expanding, these customers will see this and know that the business is going well, and it will give them a sense of comfort knowing that they have a prosperous business working on their property.

Also, if I decide to get into irrigation or some other side business I can go to Clean Cut Industries, or just Clean Cut.

So I think that your idea of Shiloh Lawns itsn't too bad. You can then expand to Shiloh Lawn & Landscape, or something like that.

Good luck
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I Have been there and done that. What the heck was I thinking. WELL. What every you feel like it is going to be will. I started out with my name (Silani's Lawn Care) Well that sucks not much left to do but lawns. Ok Second Year.

Crater Landscape Management and Landscaping.

Well I get more calls for Silani's Lawn Care than I do Crater!
    Why? ONLy one thing I can think of. They saw me in my first real year and thought I did good work. Stuck with them and its in the book.
    What ever you name it , do good, Quality work and you will do fine.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Oh I still do work under Silani's Lawn care. I have both of them registered. Heck Might change again but will give it a little more time.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What IS Shiloh? Whatever it is, it sounds like a rather neat, unique name. The one thing you DON'T want to do is sound generic. Too often, people use the term "lawn care" when that's not even really what they do. Technically, mowing and such ISN'T lawn care. It is lawn maintence. In text books, the difference between lawn care and maintenance is care is the chemical end of the industry, and maintenance is the mowing, and such. Now, like you, I wanted to reach beyond the narrow realm of lawn stuff, so I used the term "Landscape Management", which is also a rather widely used term. This encompasses the whole thing, as we take care of not only turf, but beds, trees, shrubs, ornamentals, irrigation, etc. Now Grounds Maintenance is ALSO a professional term that is widely used, so you may want to consider that, too. Whatever you come up with, I like the idea of having something you can add to later. To me, this is GREAT advice. Also, rather than "industries", the term "Enterprises" always seems to work, as well. Good luck with it!;)
  9. Shiloh is the community where I live. Lot's of businesses are called "Shiloh" , Shiloh Resturant, Shiloh Nursery etc.

I am wondering if Shiloh Nurserys will have my name tied up in some way--they have been around for many years. I still have to check on that.

Also I just LIKE the name Shiloh, one of my kids might end up getting slapped with that name, so why not my biz!?

Im aware that Lawn Care is not the same as just mowing. I plan to expand my services to full lawn care when I learn how to do it!

I have an interest in installing Ponds & Patios as well. I installed 2 ponds in the back yard when I was like 13-14 and I really like it.

I was told by a friend who is a contractor that I shouldnt limit, of overate my services. He said if somone wants me to treat their lawn for crabgrass in the spring, I goto Home Depot and buy a bag of Scotts and throw it on the lawn. He says that would be better than saying, "Nope I cant do that".
  10. PS: I wouldnt goto Home Depot

Stauffer's of Kissel Hill sells it!

(the nursery where I work)