Choosing a engine for a Snapper Hi-Vac Self Propelled

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jopopsy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

Hey gang,

What say you guys?

Kawasaki FJ180V
    Briggs 8.75

My local Snapper dealer is pushing the Briggs b/c he says they are easy to work on, easy to get parts for, cheaper to maintain, and it will run for a good 15+ years if taken care of.

On the other hand, I have always been told that the Kawa was the best engine made (for a self propelled), but he says they parts are harder to come by and more expensive.

Which engine would you guys choose, and why? I was going to trust his advice and go w/ the Briggs.

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

the only b+s that get much respect on this site are the largest engines. i know that there are lots of people on here that have used them without a problem......kawi's, on the other hand, are generally well liked. there is something to be said for what the dealer prefers to work on and what he stocks the most parts for. then again, which engine is most likely to need parts??? if it were my $$$$$$, i would definitely go with the kaw, parts availability be damned. engines are usually warranteed by the engine manufacturer. so if you have an engine problem, any one that can do warranty work on a kawi engine can take care of you. however, i really doubt that you will have problems with a kawi engine any time soon, given the hours that a HO is likely to put on a mower.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

My Snapper has a Suburu Robin engine industructable

4. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

What about the 12.5 HP Intek found on the Snapper RERs. Any good?

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 10HP B&S Intek on my pressure washer. It has been the most reliable and easiest to start small engine I've ever owned.

6. nmurph

from ga

like i said, there are people here who have used them with good luck. however, when you mention that name and you are not speaking specifically of the largest engines, b+s are not well liked by most who used them on a daily basis. the preference of the dealer certainly should play some role in your decision. go to several mower dealerships and inquire about their preferences in engines.

7. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

Understood with regards to the self-propelled mowers, but for the Snapper RER's you don't have a choice in the engine. It is what it is. Most people seem to think the RERs are bulletproof and will last a long time, but the engine is a big part of that. So I'm trying to figure out if I should stay away from them b/c of the engine.

8. nmurph

from ga

i'm not a fan of snapper RER's. ive owned three. to me, their only redeeming quality is vacuum. if you have a lot of leaves to deal with, they work ok for that use. they have the turning circle of a freight train. the clutches have two positions:eek:n and off. the clutches are also prone to wear--out.
    i know the are less than some of the cheaper ztr's, but i would bite the bullet and get a HO model Hustler or Gravely. you shouldn't bag your clippings and if you need something to pick up leaves, i would spend about $300 and buy a sweeper.

9. Jopopsy

Jopopsy LawnSite Member

You know what? I think I'm just going to go w/ the Honda HRX217HXA. It has the beefier consumer grade GCV190 engine, supposedly mulches superior to the Snapper and has a extra 1 year of warranty on top of the Snapper's. I'm not really sold on the Briggs engines on the Snapper self propelled and the RER does have its limitations as you state.