1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Choosing a new Super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cward76, Aug 25, 2005.

1. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

I have two properties, one 4.9 acres and the other is 1.8 acres. The lots are a little rough with lots of things to go around. I've been mowing this the past two years with a 42' Craftsman lawn tractor going about 2.5 mph. I'm having a hard time choosing between the Super Z 60/25, 60/25, 52/27, 52/25 or the Super Mini Z 52/25. My first choice was the Super Mini 52/25, but after reading many post I think the Super Z 60/27 may be the way to go because of a smoother ride, deeper deck, and the 27 hp LC kaw engine. Which mower do I buy? Thanks C. Ward
  2. Nes-Tech

Nes-Tech LawnSite Member

Super Z 60 w/ 24hp Honda. Nice machine with the reliability of the Honda. Perhaps a little under powered for a Full time commercial cutter, but in your case it would work great at an affordable price!
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Kohler 27/60".....

4. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

For the properties you listed,I think I would go with the 25 Kawasaki and a 60'' deck!No need for the LC unless you're mowing large properties day after day,,unless you just want to spend the money for something you don't need!
  5. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

I think Beck's of the 5 acre that you have you must buy a super version with the cooling system. The full size machine would be the one I recommend. The deeper deck. The wide stance. And most of all better ride.

Engine options are a very hard call. All the engines are good. I would buy what you local dealer is comfortable with.We sell mostly Kawasaki powered units with the exception of the efi. The 28 efi has so much more powerful even though it is just 2 hp more than the current 26 lc.The last years 27 lc was more of a match for the 28 efi.The EFI has been very trouble free for us..... So it comes down to what you prefer,EFI or LC.
  6. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

just bought a super z with 60"-25 kaw. plenty of power cuts great. you might try a standard hustler with a 23/52 like my neighbor bought. or a 27. i think you will like all of them. mine cuts great. had a honda on my super z and was smooth. quieter than my kaw. just underpowered on 60 in super z. great engine
  7. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

Is there really that many more places that you can get a 52" deck compared to the 60". I think the 60" would be the best fit, but I have the summers off and may try to pick up a few mowing jobs in a couple of years. Wondering if the 60" is good for most jobs. Right now I'm thinking SZ 60/27 LC Kaw., but I would like to Know more about the 28hp EFI by Kohler.
    Wife said yesterday to just buy the SZ Diesel. She said "Whats another $4K"

Also: Any good dealers in the Muskogee or Tulsa area?
  8. valleylawn79

i had bad experiences with the liquid cooled version on another brand. i just like air cooled personally; less maintence and less cost. that 27 kohler 60 is a good set up. that 28 efi kohler is strong and responsive. mine has a 25 kaw and has been cutting thick behui and leaving a good finish. i might would consider the 28 efi if i had to do it over again. but i can say this: hustler has a well built machine regardless of the engine. very smooth and responsive. they are as well built as any on the market. i like the simplicity of the hustler machine. the speed of the super z is almost unmatched. BUY IT. and you will like it ; ive had a super with a honda; it is a great engine; just not as torquey as the the kaw or kohler. i still have a grasshopper and it has its good points but dollar for dollar it don't match the super z. we demoed several brands; nothing else did either. good luck :cool:
  9. valleylawn79

what are the supers/60-27 kohler selling for out your way?
  10. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

I have not priced the Super Z 60", but the price I got on a Super Mini 52/25 was 7200. I don't know if this is a good price or not. I was thinking $6900 wouldn't be too bad though. That was my first choice. Now thinking Super Z 60"/ 27LC or 28EFI.If the SZ Diesel 60" had more trim edge, I may have put it into the hunt. I,m not planning on buying until next spring , but thought now would be the best time to ask questions. I wish you guys could help with a dealer. Don't see many people from Oklahoma on this site.