Choosing a ZTR for Residential mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captn, Feb 13, 2008.

1. captn

captn LawnSite Member

My previous thread, I was asking between the Hustler Fastrak and a JD z445 for personal residintial mowing.

After further advice from this forum, I also want to rate the Exmark LazerZ CT against the Hustler. This is a watered down commercial model and is comparable in price with the the Hustler Fastrak and it has a 50inch cut and Kaw power.

Any comments?

2. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lazer ct and i use it for comemrcial use, just what it was desgined for. I like it alot and its a strong little mower lol. BTW, i wouldnt go with the kaw, id go with the kohler. Alot better of a engine!

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

that ct is the way to go. the hustler fastrack has two transaxels. the exmark uses pumps and motors. anything less for the money you are spending just should not do

4. DK lawn care

Hows the OP gonna cut with this mower? Mulch or bag?

5. captn

captn LawnSite Member

Mulching. I have about 2 acres to cut. I also have a bit of a slope in a front yard ditch, and I am concerned with the stance and center of gravity of the machine I choose. I also hear the Hustler is a couple MPH faster.

6. captn

captn LawnSite Member

The Kaw is the only 07 model the dealer has. Briggs is only avail power in the 08.

7. DK lawn care

opps, i thought u were going used. My bad. U have to vavle jobs every 300 to 400 hours.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

How much are you going to spend? You could save a big chunk of money getting a slightly used commercial unit (or home owner). I don't like the Hustler cut in my area. Have you demoed any of your choices. Time is on your side, take them for a spin this Spring when the grass starts growing and is saturated. That would give you a good idea of which unit you liked best. It would be hard to go wrong with any Exmark. Most John Deere units cut well but of course I''m not familiar with some of these units. The size and quality of the pumps an wheel motors would be an important consideration.

9. DK lawn care

If u go with a used, make sure it has the kohler in it.

10. captn

captn LawnSite Member

My neighbor has the Hustler which I used a couple of times and it works great. They are selling the 07 model at $4,600 tax included.

The 07 Exmark CT mower is a little slower, less HP, and 2" smaller deck for about $5,300 tax included.

I haven't tried the exmark, but you are right, I have plenty of time to research which initiated my postings on this forum. Being in IL., I have some time before I can even demo these machines.

I'm using the forum advice to narrow it down to 2 mowers, and go from there. The Exmark dealer is alot closer to me, and seem to be a better run establishment.