Choosing an Accountant

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WaterGuru, Dec 26, 2006.

1. WaterGuru

WaterGuru LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Just wondering how some of you went about choosing your accountant.
    I would have thought this was a big discussion, but I search for info and not many people have talked about accountants.
    Did you get yours from the phone book, someone you knew used them, a lawyer referred them?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

We have used four different accountants, all as different as night and day. The first we just chose from the yellow pages- big mistake- we could have saved thousands of dollars. The best way I have found is to talk to other people who own small businesses, most good accountants will meet with you for free, if they know you are looking for a new one. Find one that you feel comfy with, they range all the way from "No one who makes less than $100,000/yr should pay taxes" Which I found a little scary, to one accountant that bragged that a client of his was audited and actually got money back- ie he had over-paid. Find one you like and feel comfy with, and most importantly one who will take time to help you create tax shelters and structure your business and pay to be tax-smart. It will save you thousands every year as your business grows.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

here's a tip also get a good bookkeeper, they do all you small stuff and can get all your info boiled down. They are less expense than an accountant this way you give only the numbers the accountant wants because the accountant will charge you by the hour to sort out your paper work.

4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

by referral