choosing new trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by atproperty, Jan 29, 2005.

1. atproperty

atproperty LawnSite Member

contingent upon signing of contracts my company may be purchasing 3 new trucks.
    2005 3500GMC dump rackbody duramax(diesel)
    2 -2005 ext. cab GMC Pickups undecided weather 2500hd or 3500.

My question is about what size engine. The 6 liter or the 8. Same HP, and GMC site said same torque? I thought the reason for the 8 would be about torque. The 8 will eat more gas. I am thinking the 6 will be fine.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I,m sure there is some reason for the 8.

More info.- They will be 6 foot beds, they will have plows in the winter and a possibility of spreader. At some point they may tow 20' to 24' enclosed trailer.

I know there are gurus out there that are gonna tear this one up.

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a 2002 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas and that truck got horrible gas mileage 9-10 mpg towing. Traded it in for a 2004 Chevy 2500hd Duramax that gets about 14-15 mpg towing. Which ever trucks you buy get the Duramax, it will save you the difference in cost in the added mpg.

3. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I think there is some mixed info on the gmc site. I didn't know they have a 6.0 ho, but this link is for chevy's site. http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/specifications/ Hope this helps as I don't have any personal experience w/ the 6.0 or 8.0.
    Chris

4. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Actually make an even better business decision and buy the Ford F-350's with the 6.0 Powerstroke engines. I really think you will eventually see problems out of the Duramax using aluminum engine blocks. Time will tell.

5. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

The Duramax diesel engine uses a cast iron block, not aluminum. It does, however, use aluminum heads. I was very skeptical of this at first, but it appears to be working quite well with no problems. The Duramax has had some injector problems in the 2001-2003 trucks. Luckily GM extended warranty coverage on the injectors. It's a good thing since they are roughly $500 each! Multiply that times 8. The new Powerstroke 6.0 has been far from trouble free. They have been plauged with injector problems, software issues, turbo failures, etc. I have been reading on Plowsite.com and pickuptruck.com about 2005 Super Duty owners having cracked transmission housings caused by snap rings coming off inside the transmission. It goes to show you that all manufacturers are having problems.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i have an 04 chevy 2500 HD with the tow package.
    we have the 6L HO vortec
    works fine
    gets ok mileage ( not much worse than the 99 s-10 with the 4.3 vortec)

we have the service body. would never buy another truck without a service body.
    tons of storage

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford Super Duty with the 6.0 will out perform the Duramax and Ford builds a better truck.

9. wroughtn_harv

wroughtn_harv LawnSite Member

The six dot oh does seem to be a horse. But at a hundred and seventy five horsepower in the International they've had a ton of problems with it.

Evidently you haven't compared a F550 to a C5500. The five fifty is closer to a three fifty than it is to their truck, the six fifty. The fifty five hundred doesn't have anything in common with the thirty five hundred.

Ford does make good pickups though.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For your 1 ton truck you should consider a F-450 because a regular 1 ton truck just doesn't have the carrying capacity especially after adding a dump body.

I don't like the idea of having aluminum heads on a cast iron block it never works when you have aluminum heating and cooling faster than the cast iron. The head gaskets on the Duramax must go through complete h** I don't trust it.

As for running the 8 litre engine nothing can be as bad as the old 460 Fords that got at best 6mpg. With the 460 if you had 1/4 tank of fuel you better find a gas station quick :laugh: