Choosing the right size?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to figure out what size of triler to get for next year. Some one already recommended sizes, but that was without equipment specifications. I have a 1989 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9L (Automatic) so I don't have much power. I plan on towing around a Toro 21" Commercial, Toro 22" Recycler, Hustler 37" Hydro-Walk-Behind, Shindaiwa RS76S Broadcast Spreader, Shindaiwa Trimmer and Edger (side rack). What size of trailer do you recommend and how much should I expect to pay? Are the ones at TSC, Lowes, etc priced well or should I buy from an actual trailer company/dealer. I definetley plan on getting a better truck after next year. Thanks for the help guys!
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

With a small truck I would stick with a single axle 6 x 12. If you are planning to go larger, then I would get a double axle 7 x 16 (or so).
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Get a 6 x 10 open trailer, you can fit a 52" Z/WB and a 36" walk. Your 2.9 Ranger is okay to pull and get by without fanfare, but once you have good profit consider an F 150 or bigger. An older F 150 is not that much of price, certainly affordable and it is very durable, 92-96 models.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i would think that without a z the 5x10 is big enough to grow with some, but get as big as you can afford, i know the truck is small but you arent towing a 800 lb mower either....

if money is an issue, get the 5 x8 for now and move up....

my trailor is from tsc, i love it, not as good as some peoples but it seems durable and suites my needs,,,,,, good luck man.. :waving: