Choosing the right vehicle and plow

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Steve Smith, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith LawnSite Member

Hello all. I am managing editor of Snow Business magazine. I am working on two separate stories: 1) How to choose the right vechicle/truck for snow removal and 2) choosing the right plow for the job. Does anyone care to share their thoughts on this. What kinds of things do you consider when selecting a particular vehicle or plow? Thanks in advance for your insights.
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations on becoming the 3100th member of Lawnsite!Now I'll stand back and let the discussions begin!!
  3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

Number 1 is experience. Which truck or plow manufactuer and dealer has served me well in the past. The one thing you can't afford when plowing is downtime.
    Number 2 is what kind of plowing are you going to do. A
    Sidekick with a Sno-bear can plow you private driveway, but if you're going to do any commercial plowing you have to think heavy duty. I think a 3/4 ton HD is manatory, and there's no subsitute for torque, be it diesel or gas. I like automatics, mainly because they have a higher reverse gear and are faster when doing lots. I like anything that improves visibility (heated mirrors, window), and power windows because if it's covered in snow I can put the right window down at the push of a button.
    I think if your doing lots a V-plow is a must, I like Fisher because of it's bottom trip & double acting cylinders, they stack higher and are a lot faster. If your doing mostly drives then 71/2 straight will work, and you should consider a back drag.
    I,m sure you will get lots of variations

4. Alan

Alan Member

I really don't think there is a "right" vehicle that will satisfy everyone. I'm running two Chevy S-10s and a K2500. The S-10 are carrying 8' straight blades. Got plenty of opinions to the effect that I can't run an 8' blade on an S-10. But, for residential work, they are fantastic trucks, adequate power, amazingly maneuverable. When you really need to push, not much will beat the K2500 with a loaded spreader box and vee plow. So there's two ends of the same stick. Either one will work, but depending on your route, one is far superior in certian situations.

I'm not real big on diesel power. I like the fuel economy but the weight of the diesel is just that much more on the front axle. With the weight of the plow you're already heavy up front in most applications, and you really notice it if you get into soft ground. My personal preference is small block power in a Chevrolet or GMC chassis. Lots of them out there, they seem to last good and parts are cheap.

Plows,, go with whatever brand has SERVICE close to you. If you can't get parts quickly, or decent service when you need it, any brand is just so much junk. I run Sno-Way, not because they are any better than Fisher/Western/Boss, but because my dealer is an absolute ace.

If I was only going to do wide open, commercial accounts I'd probably have a K3500 series with a dump body and an undertailgate spreader and a vee plow. For strictly residential my choice would be a 1500 series, short box with a straight blade.

So much of what is "ideal" has to be based on the individual operation. Up here in Vermont we do things far differently than someone "downcountry". Way too many variables to be able to offer any really meaningful input.

5. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with what Bill has posted - especially on the heavy duty end. That's especially important if you plan on carrying a salt/sand spreader as well as a plow.

Alan has it right too - because things vary so much from one area to another, it's difficult to speak on the subject except in general terms. So here goes:

In addition to spec'ing "heavy duty", keep GVW requirements in mind too. Whether or not the unit can physically handle it, getting an overweight fine because of the plow & sander on your truck can really ruin one's day!

Something to consider with regard to the plow is what kind of dealer support is available in your area - AFTER the sale. Unless you can do all or most of your service/repairs on your own, it's important to have a dealer familiar with your brand of plow, and that you can work with. What sort of service will they provide when the snow is flying?

I'd also like to add: Used vs new. Depending on a lot of factors such as the amount of plowing you're going to be doing, what use the truck will have in the off season, and how many $$$ you can (or are willing to) spend at once, a used truck and/or plow can be a good investment. As with any used equipment, just remember to check it all out thoroughly before you buy.

Just some ideas, looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

[Edited by 75 on 04-04-2001 at 05:49 PM]
  6. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

The above posts are on the money, where I'm concerned. If buying a vehicle for the sole purpose of moving snow, consider your brand and service initially, and then spend some time to make sure the vehicle is equipped right for the work. Plow packages, by in large, equip a vehicle for the basics. Other options or after-market toys can improve the performance in the eye of the owner (such as the heated mirrors - a real bonus when plowing near trees that hold the snow).

If you are buying a vehicle for many functions, one of which is plow duty, one would have to broaden the spec to account for the other uses. Also consider resale value - a comfortable cab makes it that much easier to trade or flog the poor thing where you're done with it.

WRT plows, the job to be done determines the type of blade, the severity of your application should determine the robustness/durability you need, and your dealer support /mechanical ability should (again) point to the brand.

Enough from me. Others will add their thoughts too.
  7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Answer to Question Number 1

I am trying to standerdise things as much as possible. By 2002 and we will have 4 types of trucks with plows. F 350 pick ups, F 350 C&Cs, F 550 C&C, and F 650 or F 750s.

Same thing with plows, all F 350s pick ups will have 8.5' Fisher V-plows, all F 350 C&Cs will have 9' Fisher streight blades, F 550s will have 9.5 ' fisher v-plows. and F 650s and F 750s will have 10' fisher plows. By having on brand of plow I have to stock less parts.

Currently I am useing Diamond and Fisher both are good dealers and good products, However one brand is probably a better plan then two.

With trucks we will be useing one brand and one engine trans combo. It makes maintmance and repairs easier, and once ya learn the controlls of one truck ya learn the rest. Not to mension the fleet discount you recieve with staying with on brand.

Our plow truck specs:

F 350 Pick up
    7.3 power stroke diesel
    auto trans
    XL with cloth seat, air, am/fm,
    Plow prep
    trailer tow

same for For the F 350 C&C and F 550.

Now we don't buy a truck just to plow, our trucks are set up to work year round. The only thing we do that is greared to plowing is we only use 9' bodies on our C&C trucks. Our summer work could bennefit from 12' bodies.

The right plow for the right job

Size of plow depends on the area being plowed
    Driveway 9' tops
    The type of plow depends on the area being plower.
    V-plows are always great in spaces with lots of in and outs.
    Location of account.

I have one small size lot that is a square lot. We plow it with a 10' blade because the truck is right there. Yes the truck is a little oversize, but I am not going to send a truck 20 mins off it's route for a 30 min lot.

Hope this helps

OH year on the buying part, dealer service. Our Ford, Fisher, and Diamond dealers are NUMBER 1.

JD PLOWER LawnSite Member

I have to agree with the above posts in the fact that most of the choices people make are based on individual needs. My personal choice is a ford f-350 diesel. I chose my truck because it meets all the reqirements for a plow truck and transportation. It's able to handle an 8' plow with no problem . It's also a diesel for several reasons, it's not just a plow vehicle but my daily driver, so mileage is a huge factor. Diesels are much easier to modify currently then any of the big three's gas engines. This also makes towing a trailer easier and much more economical than a gas powered truck. I chose Ford becuase that is the truck that I was brought up around, and my preference is for a monobeam front axle with leaf springs. I plow only commercial and this truck suits my needs without any problems. I don't currently need any heavy equipment in my offseason work so I sub all of my hauling and stacking out. I use a Fisher plow mostly from the fact that they are by FAR the leading distributor of snowplows in this area. I do prefer trip edge designs, and the overall durability of Fisher plows . Even though they do need some work around here on dealer service, there is no shortage on parts (usually). So all in all I think you will find it varies do to region, type of work conditions, and most importantly how fast can you turn a profit with it.
  9. Dave1250

Dave1250 LawnSite Member

I have a Gmc 3/4 ton plow package towing package sle have used this truck for about 7 years for plowing . Just pick up another 1990 GMC SLE with a 7 1/2 ft. fisher looking at 2 1 tons 1 stander the other auto I like the auto best but if the price is right I`ll get both . In this area 4x4 early 1990 are going reably I am trying to keep all truck the same with plows the same . Thanks I have been reading all the post and learning alot .
  10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well around here Southern Indiana a 1/2ton 4wd is the standard or a 3/4 2wd. I guess this would very alot on the amount of snows and pushes, here we get maybe only 2-3 pushes per, with snows of 2-5 inches, so this kind of equipment does well.