Choosing ZTR

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by clilly, Dec 21, 2007.

1. clilly

clilly LawnSite Member

I have now decided between the Scag Tiger Cub 48" and the Exmark Lazer Z 46" cut with the 19 HP Kaw. on either one. Please if you had to pick between the two which one would be better for dependability, smoothness, and best cut. Both dealer are friendly the Exmark dealer has been in business for 10 years and the Scag dealer only 5. Both are very close in price range.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Never mind, sorry, cross-post.

3. EustisGoober

EustisGoober LawnSite Member

I looked at the same mowers and walked away with a Dixie. Go test drive one, they have great deals going and the warranty is BETTER:clapping: I got the 44 and got springer forks for free (instead of an electric deck lift). Scag does support the troops however with the money I saved I could donate the same and feel good that I bought a good quality machine. Check out the web site and download both spec sheets then go for a test drive. I think the Dix will win.:usflag:

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

4. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

i was also looking at these two mowers. next week im going to purchase an 08 bad boy lightning 52" 26hp lc kaw. it mows at 14 mph and has suspension. these things are very heavy built units and it is cheaper than either of those models in my area.

hope this helps,

lance

5. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a used Tiger Cub after looking at a bunch of mowers. I don't like the way the belt changes direction on the Exmark's, the extra pulleys are just extra parts to wear out.

Another thing you might consider, do a search on Ebay for each brand. Scag parts are everywhere! You don't have to pay dealer prices for many items!

6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't waste your time with a Dixie or a Badboy. You have chosen the best two mowers. I am partial to the Scag. I have used Exmark mowers and they are the best selling mower in the world. But my money is on a Scag. Like the ad says "they are simply the best" mower you can get. The Scag is bulletproof and with the new velocity plus deck its just that much better. Another comparison is if you are going to be mowing hills the Scag will hold better on hills than the Exmark.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

what?.............

8. steve45

What are you referring to?

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

belt on the exmark changeing direction I dont understand what you mean

10. steve45

The Exmarks that I looked at had horizontal shaft engines, meaning that the drive belt was in a vertical direction. This meant that an extra pair of pulleys had to be installed to convert the belt to a horizontal direction to drive the blades (the pumps, too, I imagine).

I don't know that all Exmarks are like this, but the ones I looked at were. Overall, it looked like a well built machine, but I didn't see the need for the direction change. Just more parts and wear points.